AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched through other posts in the forum but wasn;t able to get a general consensus of what most people are using.

I'm considering a Panny L300U, so much so, that I am researching screens to go with it. My HT will be light controlled 100%. No windows. Projector will be ceiling mounted at approximately 9-11ft from the screen. My anticipated screen will be a 92" 16:9 format.

I'm looking to get a fixed screen, but not sure of what type of material. If the screen is unobtainable, I'll be making one. Price is an issue, but when I looked on the Da-lite site, it seemed most screens were under $400.

Can the L300U owners post and let me know what they are using, conditiions, recommendations etc?

I'm not against making a screen, but would just like to plan for it now.(Wrapping up drywalling and will be building my front columns etc soon) so my screen decision will be made within the next 2 weeks.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
I think the two most popular screen with that projector and most others is the High Contrast Cinema Vision and the High Power. The high power is mainly used when going with a non tensioned pull down. With a tensioned wallscreen, I would go with the HCCV

·
Registered
63 Posts
I am using a 105" diagonal 16:9 DaLite matte white screen. Our room is NOT fully light controlled... there are windows and the walls are painted off-white. Even with the window shades down, the image gets washed out in the daytime. Watchable, but not ideal. But when it's dark outside, the image is stunning. A 92" diagonal screen would be even better. I think your screen size and situation don't call for a High Power screen. Without going bigger than 92", I'd probably recommend HCCV (though I've never seen the stuff) especially if you plan to ceiling-mount the PJ. Also, Matte White is great because you never have to worry about hotspotting or color shift, etc.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. What is the difference between ceiling mounting and console mounting as far as picture quality? I would think it is the same.. but apparently not.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the info. What is the difference between ceiling mounting and console mounting as far as picture quality?
It depends on the screen. I just wrote up a REVIEW of my 300u Da-Lite Hi-Power combination. If you get the high power, the consesus is you want to ceiling mount it, as the Hi-Power will really be too bright table mounted.

There are definitely people table-mounting it with a Hi-Power, but then you will be susceptible of hot-spotting, and it will just be too bright, IMHO.

-Tim

·
Registered
499 Posts
I have an L300 and its plenty bright, but the black levels like most LCD's kind of suck, so I would look into a grey screen to help out with the black levels, there is some disadvantages to grey as well though, but you have to decide what is most important to you, sheer brightness, contrast, black levels etc...

As far as specific screens I can't really say, this is my first set up so I went cheap and simple, Dazian Matte White. Overall I am quite happy with the setup, black level leaves some to be desired, but at this price point I couldn't be happier. You might want to look into a Goo screen if you want better black levels/contrast, if you want brightess I would say the High Power (I've heard it referred to as like an 8ft plasma, that sounds pretty cool), or go with simple matte white material.

The Goo screen and High power may prove to be expensive for you, (it was for me) so I just built a simple frame out of 2x2's stretched some the cheap dazian fabric over it and mounted it. If I decide to move on and go with a brighter or grey screen it doesn't hurt my wallet too much because all in all it was about $50.

Your room is light controlled so brightness won't be an issue, look into making a goo screen if you have the money/expertise. There are a lot of other options though. look at tyrq's DIY screen review in this area.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.