AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a panny 44lcx65 and have gotten a warning message come up on the tv twice saying the "air filter needs cleaning"...Something like that and then shuts off automatically in about a minute. The manual says to "consult your nearest dealer" so I figure I'd ask all of you. I am sure this is something I can do. Maybe this is where the lamp is located? I can turn the tv back on and it works fine. Maybe something has plugged up the cooling fan for the lamp. (great idea sherlock!) Anyway, anyone have this happen and solution?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've looked forever on these forums to find out about the "air filter" warning on Panasonic rear projection LCD models. "Contact a service representative" seemed overkill for cleaning/changing an air filter. Since I never could find out where the dang thing was and I was getting the warning message at least once a day (at which point it shuts off), I decided to get serious about it...

I have a Panny pt-50lcx63 so I ordered the service manual from manualsparadise.com for $25 and found where the are! The bad news is that there are actually 2 air filters (foam sponge pads, actually) that sit around the projection unit itself and in order to change them you need to completely remove the 2 largest components through the back cover - the projector assembly and the display assembly. Not a great design but it explains why they require a service call to clean/replace them.

The good news is that the step-by-step instructions in the service manual were extremely detailed and easy to follow. It took about 90 minutes for me to get everything pulled out (my wife was gone, otherwise she would have freaked out) since I was being very careful about everything. It only took about 45 minutes to put everything back together and surprise - everything still worked.

Now I have everything cleaned out inside (it was *very* dirty) and no more air filter warnings. It can be done...

I'm assuming the 44lcx65 is similar in design, but mostly I wanted to post this since I couldn't find anyone that had successfully cleaned these filters yet.

Kevin

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did the same as you. Got the manual and did it myself and fixed the problem.

But now a year later, and have green and red splotches and red vertical lines.

Talked to several Panny service techs in my area and found one who said that the design of the unit causes the LCD engine to overheat, due to the filters plugging up, and damage the light engine over time. $1000 or so to replace.

Sorry, but will not invest any $ into this big fish bobber.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.