AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got received my panny lens, it has one small air bubble and a couple teeny weeny bubbles. I remember reading that its okay, but I cant find it. Am I correct?

Also, I have it in the office so I havent taken it home yet, but the back side is much smaller than the dila lens, I am assuming that the whole lens doesnt have to enter the backside? And no this is not a dirty question

Lastly, did Shawn ever say how to clean the lens. Mine already has my fingerprints on the glass

Daniel

·
Premium Member
16,963 Posts
Daniel

The tiny air bubbles are normal.

Also the lens from the projector does not insert into the back side of the Panamorph.

The lens is free standing and will be positioned an inch or so in front of the projector.

Only the image exiting the projector enters the Panamorphs entrance and that is much smaller than the diameter of the projectors lens.

------------------

Alan Gouger

Thanks for supporting AV Science.
www.avscience.com

[This message has been edited by Alan Gouger (edited 08-23-2001).]

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Quote:
Only the image exciting the projector enters the Panamorphs entrance
"Exciting"? Wow, it sure sounds it! I think that the two of you have started the world's first A/V equipment love story.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Daniel, hopefully the above comments paint the appropriate picture! As far as cleaning, the coatings are very durable on the glass. You can use a lens cleaner, but even the glass manufacturer uses Windex on them. I've found that the trick is, after you've removed the worst of the contaminant, to simply breathe on the glass and use a clean tissue to get rid of the final smears. If this helps but does not finish the job, use a new tissue and repeat.

p.s. The bubbles are normal due to settling during assembly and shipping. They do not affect the image at all.

------------------

Shawn Kelly

Cygnus Imaging www.cgns.com

[This message has been edited by Shawn Kelly (edited 08-23-2001).]

·
Registered
111 Posts
I would not do this on a Panny without someone who knows more telling me it's o.k., but at my business we clean the windows (after they dry from washing and squeegee-ing) with old newspapers. They remove the leftover smudges and leave no "dusty" residue. The windows look very clear after this.

Now here's my idea for times when you have no lens tissue (this is most of the time with me) and you need to clean the lens...Get an old newspaper and rub a paper towel over it a couple of times just to remove the excess ink residue. Then breathe on the lens to coat them with your always available distilled water vapor and gently rub clean with the newspaper.

This is either the dumbest, most foolhardy post I've ever made (I'll try to stay quite for a while just for safety), or a brilliant new use of newspaper between reading and re-cycling.

You be the judge, but please no profanity.

·
Registered
115 Posts
audiofileZ,

I don't think it is a bad post at all. While I can't speak for how it will work with the panamorph, the surest way to get streak free, clean windows (in my experience) has always been to use newspaper. I never really thought of the science behind it before. I just accepted it as just "one of those things" that my parents passed down to me as useful info. It's how we've always cleaned glass and it's a great tip!

------------------

-------------------

Shane

[This message has been edited by ssangste (edited 08-23-2001).]

·
Registered
106 Posts
For cleaning, why don't you give lens cleaning paper a try? You can pick some up for a buck or two at a local camera shop. Works fantastic with some lens cleaning fluid (can also be picked up at the camera shop) on my D-ILA lens (much better than tissue paper does.)

paulb

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.