AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Tuesday, Dell sent me an email saying that they were pushing back my delivery date to 11/19. Then, I came in to work on Wednesday and found my 42" panny had arrived. Joy!!! (But what the hell is wrong with Dell's systems...sheesh!!!)

Anyway, I carried it from my office to my car and drove it back home. The box had been shipped by Fedex, so I was a bit worried about damage to the plasma, given the recent posts on this board. But when I pulled it out and plugged it in, it worked just fine. The manufacture date was October, so I expected no buzzing; but I could still hear some from about 4 ft. if I turn everything else off. However, from my viewing distance (10 feet) I can't hear a buzzing, and I definitely can't hear it if I turn the audio on.

The picture is incredible. At first I was disspointed, but then I realized I had to readjust the settings on my DVD player (RP91). It had been hooked up to a 27" CRT, and I wasn't using a progressive out. After I made these adjustments, the picture on the plasma was sharper and the colors more vibrant than the same picture on the CRT (I did a side-by-side comparison).

·
Registered
121 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bussu

...snip...

The picture is incredible. At first I was disspointed, but then I realized I had to readjust the settings on my DVD player (RP91). It had been hooked up to a 27" CRT, and I wasn't using a progressive out. After I made these adjustments, the picture on the plasma was sharper and the colors more vibrant than the same picture on the CRT (I did a side-by-side comparison).
The RP91 also has a setting that they say should be set for component output: black level control.

Should be "darker" for component output (page 28).

Also, don't forget to calibrate the plasma (e.g., with the AVIA dvd).

And (page 26), the different "Digital picture modes" really are different! In the short time I had my buzzing panny I couldn't decide on a best setting. It likely varies according to the dvd.

-mark

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup, the black level control was one of the things I adjusted. It made a huge difference. I've been playing with the picture modes; so far, I think I like F (fine mode) the best, but I'm still experimenting with different DVDs. I just ordered the Avia DVD from Amazon tonight...though it's hard to believe the picture can get any better than it already is.

The scaling feature on the RP91 when used with a plasma is a bit confusing. I've got it set on Normal right now, but is this the optimal setting with a 16:9 screen?

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Hi Bussu,

Congrats on your new PANNY!

Nice buy - had I been in the States I would have jumped at that Dell deal...

Looks like I'll have to wait longer scouting for a deal on a PDS-5001 to compensate for the delay. ;)

Cheers,

·
Registered
42 Posts
Congratulations!

It looks like the walls of the Boston area are becoming covered in Plasma (I live in Brookline).

Have you tried any OTA yet?

Regarding delivery, Dell only sells the unit. Electrograph is the distributor (but hey you are at HBS and may be into logisitics).

My unit also showed up before Dell sent me a confirmation of it shipping (close to 3 weeks before the Dell scheduled date).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.