AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've been TV hunting for a plasma between two and three thousand dollars. Heres what I've narrowed it down to:

A Pioneer 500m for $2375.

A Pioneer Elite 101fd for just under $3000.

A Panasonic V10 ~$2000.

A Samsung 860 ~$2000.

Which is the best value? I'll use it for TV, video games and a few movies. Glare shouldn't be a huge issue. I'm also a lover of Planet Earth and will rewatch some of it on the new TV.

Advice welcome.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tannewt /forum/post/16982078

Hi all,

I've been TV hunting for a plasma between two and three thousand dollars. Heres what I've narrowed it down to:

A Pioneer 500m for $2375.

A Pioneer Elite 101fd for just under $3000.

A Panasonic V10 ~$2000.

A Samsung 860 ~$2000.

Which is the best value? I'll use it for TV, video games and a few movies. Glare shouldn't be a huge issue. I'm also a lover of Planet Earth and will rewatch some of it on the new TV.

Advice welcome.

Thanks.

What size?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I was in the same boat a week ago. I ended up purchasing a Pioneer KRP-600M.

Was a difficult choice, but after seeing both a calibrated 600 and a 54V10, it

was a no brainer for me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looking at a 50" maybe a bit bigger.

Viper, I know its a little high but I would like to buy it local and not online. That way I don't need to deal with shipping it.

How do the 500m and 101fd compare? Are they worth the extra money?

·
Registered
850 Posts
If you're fine with a monitor, go with the 500m. The 101 isn't much different afaik.

Otherwise grab a 50" Samsung 850/860. But I think $2000 is way too close to msrp for those. Surely much better deals are around the corner.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tannewt /forum/post/16982937

Looking at a 50" maybe a bit bigger.

Viper, I know its a little high but I would like to buy it local and not online. That way I don't need to deal with shipping it.

How do the 500m and 101fd compare? Are they worth the extra money?

If that price includes tax, it is not that bad of a price.

500m and 101fd are the same monitor except 500m does not come with ISFccc modes by default. Also doesn't say ELITE on the monitor if you care.

·
Registered
326 Posts
KRP 500M, the champ and standard of excellence just needs a patch and another updated firmware upgrade where are Pioneer engineers, I'm sure they can sneak in a firmware fix for the RGB thingy majiggy.

·
Registered
89 Posts
500m! all the way! I got mine for $1900 from a local contractor. Call up home theater contractors and see if they can get you a good deal one 1. Seems to me if your budget is 2-3k and the KING 500m is less than 2k you walk away a winner. save the $ and buy the ISF patch/pro calibration. You still walk away ahead!

·
Registered
1,133 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tannewt /forum/post/16983164

I'm fine with a monitor. I'll have a comcast HD receiver and already have a speaker.

jbrady, that doesn't have tax but I hear the 500ms are hard to find locally.

Where are you located? You can find it cheaper I am sure

·
Registered
399 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocuMaker /forum/post/16984188

1) no price talk

2) that price does not include shipping

3) is that place even an authorized pioneer dealer? if not, what kind of warranty?

be careful...

1) sorry.... didn't know

2) shipping is $150 to canada so I can't imagine it's very expensive in to ship within the US

3) I don't know

·
Banned
2,435 Posts
Pricing aside, you want to buy from an authorized dealer, because Pioneer does not have to honor the manufacturer's warranty if it was not sold by an authorized dealer. And if you don't have any manufacturer's warranty, it seems to me like it would be hard to get an aftermarket warranty, since many of them require that you have a manufacturer's warranty in place before they will honor the extended one.

I presume the forum sponsors here who sell the 500M are all authorized dealers for Pioneer plasmas.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocuMaker /forum/post/16984429

Pricing aside, you want to buy from an authorized dealer, because Pioneer does not have to honor the manufacturer's warranty if it was not sold by an authorized dealer. And if you don't have any manufacturer's warranty, it seems to me like it would be hard to get an aftermarket warranty, since many of them require that you have a manufacturer's warranty in place before they will honor the extended one.

I presume the forum sponsors here who sell the 500M are all authorized dealers for Pioneer plasmas.

He presumes....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts