AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've had my 37" in my living room of my apartment for about a week. While I am so far extremely pleased with it, I have gotten used to the size and can't help but wonder if I should of gone for the 42". I can still do a swap out within the next couple weeks if I want.

Anyway, one of the reasons I picked the 37" over the 42" initially was that my viewing distance is about 6 ft away from the screen. Since both screens have the same resolution (1024 x 768) I was worried about having some form of screendoor effect with the 42" because the pixels would be bigger. At this viewing distance would this be a concern?

Thanks,

TZ

·
Premium Member
18,319 Posts
Different people realize SDE at different distances so only YOU can decide if you're too close or not. I originally set out to get a 42PD50 (ED model) at CC but i could easily see SDE at 10 feet while another customer i was standing with could not see it at all even at 8 feet which shows different people see it at different distances. This is why i ended up getting a 42PX50 instead.

I heartily recommend you take a tape measure to some stores and see if you see SDE on the 42PX50 at your viewing distance. I see it on my 42PX50U at 6 feet to some extent with analog SD digital SD, and much moreso with HD (haven't checked DVD yet). But at 8 feet (my home viewing distance) i do not see it. But as soon as i move a few feet closer it appears. You may not be as sensitive to it as i am but only you can determine that with your own eyes (and your trusty tape measure).

Also being that close starts to reveal the flaws in the source (mostly SD though) so that's also something to consider in addition to SDE.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I voted no, but it's admittedly right on the fringe. I'd agree 8' would be ideal, but some may not find it bothersome at 6'. Randy is right, use a tape measure at a store.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
And also tape the distance at home up at eye level when viewing just to be sure it's really 6 feet. I have a chair I frequently sit in off to the side and if asked I would have thought the distance to be no more than 7 feet or so...turned out to be 9 feet from the screen to the plane of my eyeballs.

I have an ED with same pixel size and notice SDE at 4-5 feet or so, a few feet further back it simply looks like sharpness grain and anything past 9-10 feet looks like HD for the most part. :)

·
Registered
527 Posts
Sorry for the highjack, but between the TH-42PX50U (1024 x 768) and the TH-50PX50U (1366 x 768), would the difference in number of pixels make up for the larger screen size? I mean, would (just a random number) 8 ft. away from either screen look the same or have the same SDE? Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.