AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to decide if I want to replace my new 43" DLP set with a Panny 42" plasma (rainbows are beginning to drive me nuts). My great room has alot or windows and ambient light. I don't have any glare problems with the DLP but I did with the RPTV it replaced. My RPTV (Tosh 40x81) supposedly had a glare screen that did not help. Since the plasma is essentially a glass panel can I expect the same amount of glare I had with my RPTV or will it be better/worse?

I've read numerous pages of threads on this issue but there never seemed to be a clear cut answer.

Thanks.

Gary

·
Registered
166 Posts
It's really difficult to predict how bad glare is gonna be without actually standing or living for a while in a room first hand.

First off, a lot of peeps on this board chose to get the Pioneer 503CMX over the Panny just because it has a plastic face which is supposed to be less reflective than the Panny's glass face.

To help predict how bad glare is going to be in your room, try to position a mirror in the room where the plasma will be, at the same angle the plasma will be at. Then, go and sit in your normal seating position, and see what you see in the mirror. If it's windows, light beams, etc, then that's usually bad news.

I don't know much about Toshiba RPTVs, but I would venture to guess that even the Panny plasma (with a glass face) would not suffer from glare problems as much as an older model RPTV did. Some of those older model RPTVs seemed to focus every light source in the room into your eyeball, no matter where you were sitting. :p But that probably had to do with a lack of brightness (of the set itself) as well. What year was your Toshiba RPTV?

Are window treatments (drapes) an option?

-THEO-

·
Registered
395 Posts
I had a similar challenge and went with the panasonic plasma because of its good contrast and bright display. Rear or front projection just wouldn't work for this room with lots of ambient light. .

It works pretty well, but I definitely have to close blinds depending on the time of day.

--Karl

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Theo,

My Toshiba TV was a '99 model HD RPTV (TW40x81). My room has alot of windows including 2 skylights. All the windows except the skylights have mini blinds. There is one large window directly behind where my plasma will be placed but it is about 25 feet away and the blinds on that window are always closed.

krbuck,

My room is somewhat similar to yours. My plasma will be placed between 2 windows (to the left and the right). Do you notice any glare problems if those blinds are open?

Thaks for all the info.

Gary

·
Registered
395 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by GScott
krbuck,

My room is somewhat similar to yours. My plasma will be placed between 2 windows (to the left and the right). Do you notice any glare problems if those blinds are open?

Thaks for all the info.

Gary
Gary,

I forgot to mention that I had sun screens installed on all my windows. They are offered in various levels, blocking sunlight up to 90%. I got 90% on all my windows and its been wonderful. Its saved on cooling quite a lot in the summer, and cuts way down on harsh glare without losing the benefits of having lots of windows. You can see out of them just fine.

They can be a bit expensive though. I spent about $700 having about 14 high quality screens installed for me, but its been money well spent.

BTW, the picture I posted was taken before I installed the screens and repainted, but its still very similar to what you see there.

--Karl

·
Registered
166 Posts
KRBuck,

Would you be able to point us to a manufacturer's or installer's web site for the screens so we could see exactly what type of product you are talking about?

Thanks!!

-THEO-

·
Registered
395 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by skyeflye
KRBuck,

Would you be able to point us to a manufacturer's or installer's web site for the screens so we could see exactly what type of product you are talking about?

Thanks!!

-THEO-
Theo,

I used a local installer here in Austin; I'm sure you have them in your area as well. He did a great job though, and I'm sure if you give him a call, he'll give you the information. My invoice says he installed "Bronze/Black Super Solar".

Here is the installer's contact information:

Dan White's Screens & Things, Inc.

5210 Hwy 290 West

Austin, TX 78735-8904

Ph: 512-892-2150

Edit: A quick google search brought up this example site.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.