AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't laugh. Have had my plasma for 15 months and simply make use of the speaker outputs on the unit to drive two generic speakers.

I want to upgrade my speakers. I know nothing about this subject. Could I simply get what is called a powered subwoofer and add that speaker to the speakers i now have? I don't think i want to go into the whole separate amplifier/receiver route. Our TV room is quite small - about 7' by 10'.

(There usually are only two of us watching.)

If I wanted, could i somehow add some surround type speakers or would i then have to add some kind of amplifier. Again, i would prefer not to have yet another piece of equipment to deal with.

Thanks.

...mike

(If this should be posted elsewhere, please let me know. Since i'd prefer not to get more equipment, i avoided posting this under one of the HT sections.)

·
Registered
225 Posts
It sounds like you want to keep things simple. But do you have a DVD player? If you want to take advantage of the audio tracks, you'll want/need a receiver or other component to accept and decode the digital Dolby bitstream which contains the multichannel audio. I'm guessing you might be a candidate for a cheap receiver and pre-packaged speaker system or "HT in a box" kind of thing. I wouldn't recommend trying to connect a powered subwoofer directly to the displays speaker outputs for a variety of reasons. Even if it did produce some sound, it wouldn't be very good.

If you just want to upgrade the front 2 speakers there are limited options. You'll have to find a pair of powered speakers that can accept speaker-level (as opposed to line-level) inputs. And volume control may be a nuisance, since controls are usually done via a knob on the speaker, with the display's output only providing a limited range within a given setting of the speakers volume. An example would be the Atrium's from Polk Audio. Note that you're not going to find much out there, and what you find won't be of very good sound quality.

If you want to upgrade your sound, I'd really recommend a receiver in your case. Even if you don't connect 5 or more speakers, it will still provide a significant upgrade with the best bang-for-the-buck. A decent receiver can be had for less than $500, and you'll have lots of room to upgrade both speakers and components in the future.

·
Registered
579 Posts
One other option will be wireless 900Mhz headphones (about $100) that give you good quality stereo sound ;also you can enjoy the tv without disturbing anyone else in the house or apartment. It is easy to set up, just plug the output of the plasma speakers to the transmitter and you are all set. It will take up no space at all and u can hide the transmitter inside or behind furnitures. The signal goes thru walls.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Im in the exact same boat right now. I have searched for HT in a box but the specs and prices range so much that it is mind boggling. Do not post prices but if anyone has a HT in a box they reccomend that won't break the bank please post it with model number.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have the Acoustic Energy Aego speakers system in a small den.

This is a powered 5.1 system that has gotten some excellent reviews in Stereophile and some other magazines. The speakers are tiny, about the size of computer speakers and they sound like speakers 5 times in size.

Acoustic energy also makes a 2.1 system (also powered), and the 5.1 system has an optional processor (very small) that you can run your dvd into.

I bought from a local b&m, but I think red trumpet has these online. I can't think of any other small, powered speakers but there may be some alternatives. Gallo perhaps?

·
Registered
101 Posts
I got the Onkyo HTS-650 home theater package for under $500. It has excellent sound quality and it supports DTS. You can also play music CD's, music DVD's, and MPEG on cd. It's an excellent value for what you get.

The only thing I've changed so far was I bought a better subwoofer cable. I do plan on upgrading the regular speaker wire as well. I do wish it had component switching to make up for the Panny's lack of Outputs. This receiver has composite and S-video switching.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I bought a Bose Lifestyle system ( the one with 2 front satellite speakers and a subwoofer) and hooked it straight up to the panny. Even though it's 8ohms and the panny is 6, it works great. I feel like I'm in a movie theatre- I have no need to use an amplifier or reciever. It's amazing that 8 watts per channel can sound so good.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Lisa,

I also have the Onkyo ht650 and it is money well spent. I love it. I recently ordered a set of aperion audio speakers and will soon order a pio 45tx receiver. The Onkyo will do bedroom duty at my new place soon. I cant wait to move in!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.