Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear all,

This is a very stupid question and you may even be offended. But I still have to ask because I am a "cheapo". :p

Does anyone have the spec of the build-in ampifier for the panny 7UY? I couldn't find it anywhere. The reason I need to know this is I would like to hook up a pair of speakers to the plasma so I don't have to turn on the receiver for watching CNN. I know Panny sell the optional speakers with the 7UY but it is not worth the MSRP$700, not even the street price. I am hoping if I can just hook it up with a pair of cheap Bose (Model: 161 - $158) to watch the news or something.

Please help.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What about ohm? Also, will that Bose hook-up kill the plasma (drain too much power or whatever that could go wrong.)

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Vcook
i dont see that listed. its 8 watts man, just hook up some junk rat shack speakers, nothing is going to sound great.
That's why it didn't justify the $700MSRP speaker kit from Panny. ;)

·
Registered
243 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Vcook
i dont see that listed. its 8 watts man, just hook up some junk rat shack speakers, nothing is going to sound great.
I would disagree. Many speakers that are reasonably sensitive would sound OK, except low frequencies. I have 5in 2 way in-wall speakers connected to a built-in amplifier. Definitely the sound is not as good as my B&W 602s connected to a Yamaha receiver but good enough for TV viewing.

Will

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
The internal amps are little surface mount single chip affairs. The output is spec'd as 8 watts at 6 ohm. Any nominal impedance speaker from 4 - 8 ohm should work. If they are not very efficient, they will not be very loud, natch.

T Wiz

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
In a temporary setup (that I'm 100% positive the wife wants as permanent!), I connected an inexpensive, yet surprisingly decent sounding, KLH satellite-sub speaker system. The sub consists of two 5 1/4" drivers and the two satellites are 2-way designs (3" or 4" woofer and 3/4" or 1/2" tweeter). The sub is actually behind the plasma over the gas fireplace (it was a large "hole" for a 36" direct view set that the previous owner had custom made). There are two columns, one on each side of the fireplace, and each has a small shelf even with the bottom of the plasma. That's where the two satellite speakers, on mini stands, are placed. You cannot see the sub at all.

This is used for regular television viewing and DVD viewing (I did say this wasn't permanent).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.