AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the 42 inch plasma screen, which has limited connection possibilities. I have the Zenith HD-SAT520, and a progressive scan DVD player, both need to go through the 1 component connection. What do I do? Thanks - Jay

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don't have a reply but have a similar problem with my Panasonic 42" plasma. I cannot use my Bose 321 Home Entertainment Center and my Panasonic VCR interchangeably. Installer said I had a choice of one or the other but would be unable to go from my digital cable to my Bose DVD and then to my VCR. I'll follow along on this thread for input. Keith

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
You need to do component switching. A lot of the newer receivers have 2 or 3 component in, and one out. So then you plug everything into your receiver and allow it to send the proper feed to your TV based on what you want to watch.

There are stand-alone switches available also if you don't want to buy a new receiver. They cost ~$200 from what I hear.

So Keith, you have a digital cable receiver (non HD?), your VCR, and the Bose 321? What is the Bose 321? Is it just basically a DVD player?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Will component switching degrade the PQ? What about RGB(15pin) and DVI? Am I not able to watch regular DirecTV using DVI and RGB connections?

Where do you get a decent component switcher?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Waht most people are doing is connecting the 520 via the VGA-15 pin input and the DVD via the component input.

This way there is no need for component switching. Just select the input you want to view.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The Bose 321 is basically a DVD player with "state of the art" sound and with the ability to switch to AM/FM radio, Video 1 and/or Video 2. The cable is Charter Cables digital service and to the best of my knowledge it is not HD.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just talked to someone about the RGB connection, and they claim that I have to check with Panasonic and Zenith to make sure a 15 pin RGB connection will work for me to receive DirecTV standard, HD, and OTA HD. I'm a newbie - thanks.

·
Registered
158 Posts
RGB connection on the panny works great, thats what im using on my sony hd200

·
Registered
300 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jkhuskies
I have the 42 inch plasma screen, which has limited connection possibilities. I have the Zenith HD-SAT520, and a progressive scan DVD player, both need to go through the 1 component connection. What do I do? Thanks - Jay
Use the RGB/PC (15 pin) connection from your 520 to the plasma. That leaves the component connection open for you DVD (or whatever).

Chucko

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Sorry about that; I missed that the receiver was HD and therefore didn't consider the VGA connection. Looks like you all had that one covered though. :)

Keith, for you it should just be a matter of using component for your Bose, and then an external receiver to switch between the vcr and the cable box. You'll probably want one that upconverts composite to s-video and then run the one s-video to the Panny.

Or, you could use the vcr to switch by sending the cable box feed (with composite) into a vcr input. Then only the vcr would be connected to the TV.

Ultimately you get 1 VGA, 1 component, and then 1 video connection. The video connection can be composite OR s-video but not both. If s-video is physically plugged in then the TV will assume you want s-video and show that, regardless of the presence of a signal on composite or s-video.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Felgar, thank you for your input. I have a Harman Kardon receiver Mdl 3270 which I assume I could use per your input. It is my understanding that using composite results in the poorest picture quality and that component delivers the best picture quality. If so your option no.1 would appear to be the way to go. Pardon my lack of knowledge but I have always lived in a big city where qualified technicians were readity available. Now its a 60 mile drive for a technician and I'm not too sure if he knew a whole lot more than me even though he is a Panasonic factory authorized "technician".

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Ya, you would probably lose a little quality from your cable box by using its composite feed instead of its svideo. But if you use a good cable then the difference will be slight. It helps that the Pannys have very good Y/C separation capability, which works to minimize the advantage of s-video over composite.

However, if the Y/C capabilities of the up-converting device is lower quality than the Pannys (most likely will be) then your VCR would look better being sent to the TV without being converted to s-video first. So you may find that you are encountering a trade-off in quality between your cable box and your vcr.

In general though, you are quite right. Quality increased from composite to s-video to component.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.