AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well today I figured what the hell. Lets see if the VGA cable from Microsoft can improve an already impressive picture. To clarify, I have a Panasonic TH-50PHD6UY Plasma monitor I am EXTREMELY happy with.

First off, I selected my panels native resolution (as close as possible) 1360x768. Once done, I plopped in COD2. The first thing I noticed was the colors on the plasma showed VERY washed out with the VGA cable. In fact not only was the color washed out the edges on the screen started to swim. Absolutely horrible.

After over 2 hours of tweaking I got what I thought to be a decent picture. Decent until I switched back to component. The Component picture was MUCH MUCH more rich with greater detail and smoother edges.

Conclusion, I wasted $50.00 bucks! The picture it provided was horrible. Panny Plasma owners, stick with component!!

P.S. I have a fairly new VGA cable for sale .....anyone? ;)

·
Registered
44 Posts
What were you hooking up? A game system?

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tina C.
What were you hooking up? A game system?
HI Tina,

Yes. This is the Xbox Gaming area so all discussions will be related to either the Xbox or Xbox 360.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMR
HI Tina,

Yes. This is the Xbox Gaming area so all discussions will be related to either the Xbox or Xbox 360.

DOH!!

*blushes*

Yeah...and one day I will learn to read...... :eek:

I had just hit the "new posts" button, and didn't see what forum I was in. :p

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Is this an aftermarket cable or was it made by microsoft? I don't think that it should matter but I haven't read any bad posts about the VGA cable. May be designed for computer monitors and not a tv. Please don't blast me because I know that a console's main purpose is for hook up to a regular tv. Just saying that because I know some people only have a computer monitor as a tv.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This was Microsoft's VGA Cable. You cannot use anything but cables designed specifically for the X360.

Goldfingiz, I dont know if that will work. In theory, it makes sense.

I am going to play with it a little more so I am not ready to get rid of the cable as of yet. I will PM you tomorrow.

Mark

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I spent some more time playing with this last night and I can honestly say that this combination is just not good. I was able to slightly improve the picture but it still fell far short of my expectations. I could never get the picture to "jump" off teh screen lke component.

I am not blaming the X360, I think it is my plasma.

Panny Plasma owners......SAVE YOUR MONEY!!

·
Registered
601 Posts
That's unfortunate. I've been happy with the VGA on my LCD, as have several others. This is definitely something for Plasma owners to be aware of. I actually noticed a slight increase in overall picture quality, plus I LOVE the prospect of opening up a component input ;) Sorry it didn't work out.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMR
I spent some more time playing with this last night and I can honestly say that this combination is just not good. I was able to slightly improve the picture but it still fell far short of my expectations. I could never get the picture to "jump" off teh screen lke component.

I am not blaming the X360, I think it is my plasma.

Panny Plasma owners......SAVE YOUR MONEY!!
If component is wowing you then I agree, save your money. VGA has been working great on my LCD, I think the cable purchase was well spent. I could only add that some people mention settings on displays for PC colors vs TV/DVD color palate.

I'd suggest the calibration thread if you want to keep trying:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=606216

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh , I do not doubt it has to do with my model plasma. I have never used the VGA input on my panel as my laptop has DVI which works beautifully so it may be inherent of this series panny and its VGA Input.

I was very happy with component but I can never leave well enough alone. Always looking to improve.

I will however go back to component unles Microsoft in their infinit wisdom comes out with a DVI or HDMI solution. Then I will have to try again !! :D

Mark

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMR
Oh , I do not doubt it has to do with my model plasma. I have never used the VGA input on my panel as my laptop has DVI which works beautifully so it may be inherent of this series panny and its VGA Input.

I was very happy with component but I can never leave well enough alone. Always looking to improve.

I will however go back to component unles Microsoft in their infinit wisdom comes out with a DVI or HDMI solution. Then I will have to try again !! :D

Mark

Does your laptop also have VGA? or a DVI to VGA dongle for it, maybe that could help narrow down where the issue is.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I moved my 360 to my dell 2005FPW via the MS VGA cable. I have my settings on 1360x768 and I noticed that the picture is "washed out" in that it is alot brighter than if I use component. But if by washed out you mean the picture is less detailed, I don't notice this. I think the brightness issue can be solved on my setup with settings on my monitor.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naylia
Does your laptop also have VGA? or a DVI to VGA dongle for it, maybe that could help narrow down where the issue is.
It does but funny enough, I do not have a VGA cable to try! LOL

Regardless, I am happy with component until the next "great" thing comes around. ;)

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have a Maxent 42MX3 and have found the VGA cable to be slightly sharper when I set to native resolution than the Component. When I run Halo 2 in BC, the VGA is FAR better. The component gave me a bright, washed out image, but the VGA is perfect. Looks like YMMV on cables and TV combos.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMR
This was Microsoft's VGA Cable. You cannot use anything but cables designed specifically for the X360.
Yes you can.

Cables in general? (Or are you talking about Video cables, since this thread is about a VGA cable)

You can use your own aftermarket optical audio cable.

You can also use your own aftermarket Cat5 Ethernet cables.

·
Registered
16,553 Posts
I like the VGA image better myself but I noticed something very odd last night while messing around in the settings ...

--- If I set the 360 VGA output to 1360x768 then my LCD reports 1280x768 but if I set the output to 1280x768 my LCD reports 1366x768 . I had not noticed this before because I never checked to see what the LCD was reporting the resolution to be . This is with a 1366x768 native panel . 1280x720 reports as 1280x720 so I think the tv is reporting resolutions properly (or at least I hope) .

--- Anybody else have the same findings ?

--- Possible that M$ mixed up the settings and the selections in the menu do not actually match up to actual output ?

------------ Jason

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungC55
Yes you can.

Cables in general? (Or are you talking about Video cables, since this thread is about a VGA cable)

You can use your own aftermarket optical audio cable.

You can also use your own aftermarket Cat5 Ethernet cables.
I was talking about the video cables not audio or ethernet.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp
I like the VGA image better myself but I noticed something very odd last night while messing around in the settings ...

--- If I set the 360 VGA output to 1360x768 then my LCD reports 1280x768 but if I set the output to 1280x768 my LCD reports 1366x768 . I had not noticed this before because I never checked to see what the LCD was reporting the resolution to be . This is with a 1366x768 native panel . 1280x720 reports as 1280x720 so I think the tv is reporting resolutions properly (or at least I hope) .

--- Anybody else have the same findings ?

--- Possible that M$ mixed up the settings and the selections in the menu do not actually match up to actual output ?

------------ Jason
I'll check my samsung and let you know. I'm pretty sure mine reported right.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.