Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Panny PQ is [darn] good if not better in the ED than in the HD

Yes...it's true.

Well for me at least.

I have been asking so many [gosh darn] questions about this that I felt I owed it to those who tried to help me

YES, the resolution of many other plasma TVs is better, but the blacks

ohh the blacks

Side by side, the ED has a better picture...IMHO

The blacks on the ED are definately better then the HD, eventhough the HD has a higher resolution, the PQ on the ED looked richer and just had more depth.

The HD looked great, don't get me wrong, but the ED looked just as good from about 6-8 ft away and.....the blacks made the PQ even better for me.

The HD has OK blacks, but the lack of darkness made the picture seem more flat, and faded when sitting right next to the ED. The ED, eventhough it has less resolution, looked like it was just as clear, if not more clear and more 3d than the HD.

Not just the Panny HD too, they had a Sony and a Pion 533 and they both failed in comparison. I guess the blacks are in so much of the picture that it really helps with the 3d effect and the realism of the PQ. I can't understand how the extra resolution doesn't seem to make up fot the black, or the lack thereof.

So, my $.02......PANNY ED IS THE BEST 42"

I'll be working on getting one for myself soon.....and after so much research I probably made all of you sick

[this post was edited for cleaner language] ;)

· Registered
225 Posts
JBIG - Glad to hear your thoughts. I pretty much agree completely with you on the picture quality of the 42"ED. I just wish I didn't have to wait for it (ordered it the last week of March).

Where did you end up going to see them?

Vince

· Registered
225 Posts
srgilbert - I don't think JBIG was looking to "poke the bear" as he had been asking a bunch of questions over the last week or so and we all told him to go see for himself. Glad to see he did take a look for himself and let us know what he thought.

· Registered
1,672 Posts
I think most of the people on here have come to realize it's all in the eye of the beholder. While I tend to like the Panny a bit better, my wife leans towards the Pio model. She felt it was more like looking through a window, but I kind of thought it was a bit unnatural looking. Like the colors were being too enhanced.

The only way to decide is to try and see for yourself. If you have to go on the opions of others, I'm sure you'd see about a 50/50 split on this board.

· Registered
813 Posts
I agree 100% about it being int he eye of the beholder. I returned my pio 433cmx and planned on waiting but just cant. I will be ordering an ed panny this week for a year or two temp fix until everything settles and I can get either a great lcd or 50" plasma.

However viewing them side by side in my cc, I think that the blacks looked a little better on the hd, and that the hd def. had a much more 3d look. Even my chick noticed before I said anything and that said something to me since I was thinking it at the moment. I thought it had to do with the blacks though. I just assumed that it was because ofi the way they had them setup however, and since I am unfamiliar with the panny I really didn't know what to change to make it look the same or better.

-Chris

· Registered
4,906 Posts
I have seen the EDC and HD side by side. THe extra detail on the HD panel is lost after about 6 feet so I went with the ED panel last year. The pictyre is better than I could have hoped for and HD looks fantastic.

· Registered
450 Posts
I've been listening in for some time and getting great information; it's time for me to contribute a few of my own experiences.

I spent some time at Magnolia last night and looked at the 42" HD and ED Panasonic side-by-side. I also saw the 50" Panasonic next to the 50" Fujitsu and 50" Pioneer Elite. The setup was great for comparisons--with more subdued lighting and a comfortable chair 9' from the display wall. (All that was missing was a refrigerator.) I don't know how they had the TVs calibrated, but the findings I had matched the general opinion on the these displays on the forum. I wasn't able to reproduce the effect you experienced with black levels between the HD and ED JBIG; perhaps the brightness was higher on the HD when you reviewed them?

For me I think the 42" HD is the right choice. I sat down 9' away from both the HD and ED and I could still slightly detect the pixels on the ED. Moving back to over 10' the effect went away, but in my viewing room I'll be 10' or less from the display. The HD was better of course--I saw the pixels on the HD at 4' or less. With text, the ED was very slightly clearer on the edges, but the screen door effect made it ultimately less satisfying than the HD.

The HD feed they had on was showing a star field--excellent for both showing colors and seeing the black levels. The HD and ED had the same deep (I would say perfect) blacks. The Fujitsu and Panny 50" were similarly excellent while the Pio Elite had a dark gray background rather than black. (I don't know how these were adjusted, so that could be a factor. But the Pio didn't seem brighter, just less black if that makes sense.)

All of these TVs had an impressive 3D feel to them. I preferred those with deeper blacks, but they were all good and colors were saturated.

The Fujitsu was a little sharper / clearer than the Panny 50". Perhaps it was due to its AVM, perhaps due to the sharpness level on the display. It didn't feel like a edge enhanced sort of sharpness, however; it would perhaps be better to say it was more clear. This difference was very subtle and would not be the determining factor in a purchase, especially until I could play with the sharpness controls to see if that was a factor. The black levels of the Panny would cause me to chose it over the Pio Elite though.

Now I have to decide if DVI matters to me.

Steve

· Registered
188 Posts
Hey I have the HD brethren in the 42" and I won't belabor JBIG's post about which is better; however I am just glad he bought a Panny; OOPS, did I just stir up some trouble :)

Dan

· Registered
457 Posts
I've got the 42 HD Panny as well. I totally agree with Steve in that I could still see the pixels on the Ed display, even at 9 to 10 feet (especially with white colored wording on the screen). Also, the HD just flat out had sharper edges (like when viewing someone's body against a background), especially when viewing an HD source.

If you can see the pixels at your normal viewing distance then you may want to considering jumping to the HD, otherwise the ED will more than do the trick. I prefered either of these two, personally, over the Pio 433CMX. Again, totally subjective here.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.