Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone,

I've been doing a lot of reading but can't figure this one out. I've been searching for 2 days now...

I just got a new RP82 on Friday. I've got it hooked up to my NEC VT540K projector with a component breakout cable. In interlaced mode it looks fine (comparable my an older Sony interlaced player) but in progressive it looks like crap. I've tried several DVD's (Star Wars I and II, X-Men) and they all look terrible. There are "ghosts" (or what I think are referred to as "ringing" around the image. It is easiest to see with titles, but you can also see it around people, items. I mean it is horrible.

Is this because of the line doubler in my projector not handling the progressive signal properly? Would all progressive DVD players do this or is it due to the chip in the RP82? Should I just stick with interlaced output and rely on the line doubler in the projector?

Any help would be much appreciated. I really don't want to take it back, as I love all the other features (WMA, MP3, DVD-Audio, DVD-RAM, etc).

Thanks so much everyone...

Ross

·
Registered
7,195 Posts
Ross...

My 82 has comparable quality with both the progressive and interlace scan modes.

Make sure the 82 is in 16:9 output mode... set to "lighter" and the picture in "normal" setting.

I did a quick check and the 540K appears to accept 480P.

Is there a menu option in the 540K as far as input format or does it automatically sync if it can?

On the 82, you might try restoring factory defult settings and then starting over.

You may havce a bad unit. Do you have access to any other projectors or TV that can accept a 480p signal?

good luck

RJ

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RJ,

Thanks so much for the reply, I haven't been able to figure this one out...

As for the 82's settings, I've got exactally what you're saying. Yep, the VT540K is supposed to support 480p, and I've seen posts in the projector forums where people are using progressive players with it, just not the 82.

As for the 540, it does auto sync. I've been through ALL the setups for it and can't find squat to change. I did reset the 82 and still no dice. Nope, unfortunately I don't know anyone with a 480p TV. We've got some other projectors at my office that I might try tomorrow.

For now I'm taking it back and gonna get another one and the Denon DVD-900 (if they have it). I don't want to spend that much (plus I want all the feature of th 82, namely DVD-RAM since I do a lot of video editing) but I'm gonna get it just to see.

Thanks again and if anyone else has any insight please please let me know.

Ross

·
Registered
46 Posts
The only way to know if it is your DVD player or projector is to borrow someone else's progressive scan DVD player and try it with your pj....AND....Try your PR 82 on someone else's moniter in progressive output mode. That will tell you where the problem is.

Tom

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I'm on my way to the store to exchange my 82 and possibly get the Denon 900 to test.

I was more wondering if this is a common problem with some DVD Players/Projectors or not? I was concerned that maybe the line doulber in the projector was screwing up the progressive image...

I'll know soon and let everyone know...

Ross

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well it wasn't the unit. We hooked it up to a Sony 16:9 Wega TV and it was a beautiful thing. So I returned it and brought home a Denon DVD-900 that I'm gonna go try now. I'll let you guys know how that turns out in a few hours...

Thanks again for the help...

Ross

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well it ain't the DVD players..... (much to my dismay....)

The Denon DVD-900 did the same thing. Next I'll jump over to the projector forum and ask about the projector over there...

Ross

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just to let everyone know my player was fine, after everything it turned out to be a bad cable!!! The cable is fine in interlaced mode, but shows the issue in progressive.

I just orderd a 20' breakout cable from A2ZCables.com which should do the trick!

Ross

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.