Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi:

I've read that the panny plasma only does progressive scan when using the components input and that S-Video and composite video don't have progressive scan? Is this true? If so, does it compensates to adquire an s-video to components converter? Is there any RGBS (Scart) to RGBHV or components converter? Where can i buy this in Europe?

Regards,

J. Rosado

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
There is no such thing as a progressive signal that is transmitted using s-video or composite. They both trasmit 480i.

The component cables can feed both 480i and 480p (and others) so any progressive scan signal is fed to the unit with component cables only.

But the TV itself is a progressive scan unit in that it draws full frames, rather than interlaced frames. Thus, when you are viewing 480i material, be it on composite, s-video, or component, the TV is turning the signal from interlaced to progressive before it is displayed.

Bottom line, if you have a progressive scan dvd player that's good, then feed it 480p with component cables. If s-video is all you have then don't worry about it, just send that straight to the TV.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Given that, what would yield the best picture? - DVD going s-vid or component, or is there a difference? Does it depend on what does a better job of displaying the progressive signal (the TV or the DVD player)?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by pcrx
Does it depend on what does a better job of displaying the progressive signal (the TV or the DVD player)?
Yeah. This is the source of much debate. Just search the forum - a good TV will be able to do 3:2 pulldown on an interlaced S-Video signal, which is the equivalent of what a progressive scan DVD player does. Personally, I prefer component - it has the edge in color bandwidth.

Felgar: just nitpicking, but in his case it would be 576i and 576p.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Felgar

There is no such thing as a progressive signal that is transmitted using s-video or composite. They both trasmit 480i.

Felgar, i know there is no such thing as S-video with progressive scan. What i was refering in the question was to the conversion to progressive scan that the panny does internally, get it?

Regards,

J. Rosado

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.