AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've ordered a Panasonic PT-40LC12, the rear projection LCD TV. The wife likes it alot, and doesn't care for the typical RPTVs, and doesn't want to spend more than $3 k for a TV.

So I have a couple of questions. It seems that the life of the projector bulb on the panny is 3k to 5k hours - I've seen both numbers on the avsforum. Which is correct? Also, the bulb is $300.00, and it seems to only be available from Panasonic. It there a cheaper alternative.

Secondly, I'm getting the set from Sears. the salesmen claim that the extended warranty covers bulb replacement. Is this correct?

I got a fairly good deal on the set, $2820 + tax, including the panasonic stand and a progressive scan DVD player.

·
Registered
42 Posts
You have some good questions!

The only one I can help with is the expected bulb life. The hrs. will depend on how you use the t.v. , how often you turn it on / off, how often you clean the air filter, etc. By the way, the air filter is very easy to access and clean and mine...was very dirty after less than 1 month's usage...so check it often.

Also, the TV has 2 settings regarding brightness: Normal and Cinema. Cinema, which allows for a somewhat darker picture but better blacks, will extend the bulb life.

I find that DVD and HD viewing is better in Cinema mode, and standard Direct TV viewing better in Normal mode.

Overall it is a pretty cool TV! You made a good choice!

Joe

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jsekura
Also, the TV has 2 settings regarding brightness: Normal and Cinema. Cinema, which allows for a somewhat darker picture but better blacks,

Joe

However, the Cinema mode does NOT change the contrast

ratio (brightest/nominally black) at all. I measured it. It reduces

brightness by 30%.

Doug McDonald

·
Registered
42 Posts
Bulb life (expected hrs.) is not absolute. It depends greatly on how the TV is used as I stated above. I have seen both the 3k & 5k numbers documented.

One would have to assume that with normal viweing you will get 3k hrs., with Cinema mode on and with good care of the TV and filter you may get 5k. hrs. But, it would not be impossible for the bulb to die at 2k. hrs. or last to 6k.

It is not unusual for a manufacturer to quote both the low and high end estimates since how you use your set determines how long the bulb will most likely last.

I don't have access to the manual right now, but I do not recall it specifically indicating expected hrs. other than stating that different settings and care of the tv will result in a longer or shorter bulb life.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.