AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for an HDTV and I think I have narrowed my choice to the Panny PT-50LC13 and the Sony KF-50XBR800. I saw the Panny on display at a local Tweeter in Georgia and was blown away by the picture. I originally liked the picture of the Sony, but since I have seen the Panny I cannot justify the $1000 price difference for the Sony. Any insight will be appreciated.

·
Registered
170 Posts
udoknow:

Both sets are good choices...the question is which one do YOU like?

One of the things about making a choice like this is that there is a GREAT deal of subjectivity involved. I would liken a decision like this to an investment decision (I am a money manager and stock analyst by trade) - to know what to invest in, you need to first focus on your needs, goals and time horizon. Factors such as picture quality, price, form factor (i.e.size) and others play a role. The nice thing about LCD's like the Panasonic and Sony is that they have a relatively small footprint (unlike big CRT projection boxes), have relatively little burn-in issues (unlike plasma), and, in the case of the Panasonic LCD, can be had for MUCH less money than some of the other available technologies (like LCoS or DLP) - which is a GREAT thing if you are concerned about the relentless decline in pricing on ALL "bleeding-edge" technologies (a KEY factor for me).

If you search the threads on this forum, there are a LOT of people that are gravitating to LCD's like the Panasonic and Hitachi, for many of the reasons mentioned above. I chose the Panasonic because I got it for a RIDICULOUS price (less than $2300) - which was less than the Hitachi, and MUCH less than the Sony. To ME, I just thought that, after reviewing some of the other options (including the Sony that you mention and the Samsung DLP), I - like you - just could NOT justify the price difference. That is not to say that the additional cost is not worth it - there are MANY forum regulars who LOVE their Sony, and MANY big fans of the Samsung DLP as well.

It is only natural for forum members who own a particular TV or technology to be big supporters of what they own - they like what they own and are quick to tell you why! :) As you will see by reading some of these threads (and I encourage you to read as much of this stuff as you can before making a final decision), no one set is perfect - each has their strengths and weaknesses. I chose the Panasonic LCD for the same reason that you did - I LOVED the picture, and the price was right. But at the end of the day, the decision is up to you. Be informed, learn as much as you can...but buy what YOU like! Because NO ONE on this forum can tell you what you should like - that decision is yours and yours alone.

Good luck!

·
Banned
29,681 Posts
I've seen the Sony GWII's sold for "ridiculous" prices too (under $3000)

Don't let price be you only deciding factor... play with both tv's and the remotes and see which one you prefer...

Then factor in price differences.

UMR is right... the Sony 610 is shipping as we speak... and should be more in line with LC13 prices.....

·
Registered
923 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mfusick

UMR is right... the Sony 610 is shipping as we speak... and should be more in line with LC13 prices.....

Mfusick,

Any idea when we will actually be able to see (and touch) the 42WE610?

THANKS!

David

·
Registered
569 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mfusick
I should be able to check one out very soon.....

Let you know what I think.
Now, we already know what you'll think! ;)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by udoknow
II saw the Panny on display at a local Tweeter in Georgia and was blown away by the picture.
Don't pull the trigger until you have seen the Hitachi 50V500. I was convinced I was getting the Panny, until I saw it side-by-side with the Hitachi. I really wanted to like the Panny better...I love the form factor and all the inputs. But after seeing them several times, side-by-side, I could not deny the fact that the Hitachi's pic was significantly better. It's so sharp it made the Panny look dull by comparison, and it has better blacks. I played with both sets, trying to make the Panny look as good as the Hitachi, but to no avail.

JMHO,

Mike

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I've checked out the PAnnies and the GWII.

I found that the Pannies are far superior to the Sonys,

mainly because I see terrible interlace artifacts on the

GWII, when it is fed an interlaced signal. The Panny is better.

Doug McDonald

·
Registered
213 Posts
One more thing to keep in mind, in case you care... The Sony has a great PIP implementation. If you use PIP the Sony will likely make you much happier. Go take a look if you care about such things...

Marc

·
Registered
213 Posts
When I said PIP I really meant dual picture mode... The Sonys don't provide overlay capability, just side by side mode. However, the side by side windows can be adjusted sizewise. When you make one larger the other one gets proportionally smaller. Proper (as sourced) aspect ratio seems to also be retained for both windows... I saw a 16x9 window next to a 4x3 a couple days back on the 60xbr800. Very nice...

Just in terms of PIP, I'm very impressed by the Sonys and wholly underimpressed (relatively) with anyone else's implementation...

JMHO.

Marc

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.