AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up an AE500U projector and am very happy with it except for the fact that I'm unable to get it to recognize a DVI signal from a Geforce 5600 video card. RGB works fine and just got powerstrip so that I can fine tune the settings once I get it running. The DVI to my monitor works fine. Does anyone have ideas or gone through a similar situation?

thanks,

Dan

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
Odd... I use a Radeon myself, so I'm not sure how the DVI differs, if at all. You are definately on DVI and not D4 input, right? Have you set powerstrip to match the timings in the manual?

-MP

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I got through to Panasonic customer support and they told me that the LCD monitors will not accept a DVI input from a PC in its native resolution. Bummer! They are making the correction to the manual.

I guess the next best option is to figure out a way to run component out from the PC. Anyone know how to do this for a responible price?

·
Registered
814 Posts
i use EDID 2 on my japanese model, works like a charm.. fact is, it works better than the EDID 1 mode, i don't know about japanese standards but.. they have "750p" on EDID 1, wich runs ONLY in a 720 timing on a 720p display.. makes you wonder why they use that? anyway, when you're on EDID 1 there's overscan on the top and the bottom, and it won't accept 640, 800, or 1024 on it (only 720p signal, wich like i said is labled as 750p). it's very wierd...

I used it like that for weeks then i found the EDID option and switched to EDID 2, overscan is completley gone, i have now perfect 1:1 mapping in 720p wich isn't even called 720p, it's called "720 wide", 640 to 1024 works now too. i don't know what's the point of that "750p" setting, it uses a 720p timing, not a 750p one, and like i said, causes overscan.. i THINK the reason is 1.85 movies... that slight overscan would cause those movies to lose the black bars on top and bottom, other than that i can't think of any other reason, but it's actually a pretty good bet that's it.

duno about the USA model, but i would be very surprised if 720p didn't work on it... fact is i'm allmost sure it works from what i've read.

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
Yeah... I'm not sure exactly what they meant by it won't accept 720p input from a PC. I think the person you talked to was confused between their flat panels and their projectors.

-MP

·
Registered
7 Posts
My understanding is that EDID1 was for HDTV connections, and EDID2 is for computer connections.

Certainly the Samsung 931 DVD player with DVI output can successfully connect at 480p, 720p, and 1808i when the projector is set to EDID1. The projector refers to these modes as 750p and HDTV60. But when the projector is set to EDID2, the projector can only recognize the DVD player in 720p mode (in which case the mode is reported as Wide 720), but the other modes are rejected.

According to the manual, in this mode the projector should be able to connect on the DVI at VGA (640x480), SVGA(800x600), XGA(1024x768), MXGA(1152x864), and SXGA(1280x1024). Of course, those will all give poor use based on aspect ratio. But it should also do Wide600 (1072x600), Wide720(1280x720), Wide768(1280x768), Wide768-2(1360x768).

Are you not getting those resolutions to work?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Doing my evening / weekend pastime - going through the various posts and came across this one. ( what life?) Regarding DVI input on the AE500 - I have a Bravo D1 ( I know - but it seems to work ok - so far ) and since I am still waiting for mine - hopefully within the next two weeks from Japan - anyone who may have set theirs up in this manner have any thoughts on what works best? I was all set to purchase a Sanyo Z2 ( waiting since Dec.21) and decided to jump ship so to speak. Only managed to see a Sony HS20 on display here but considered it as having a very acceptable image. I am sure from what I have read so far that the AE500 will not disappoint most owners. I had wanted to get an Optoma H56 but could not really afford it - very nice picture though, then turned to the Sony - still too much. Finally found out about the Sanyo and even though they will probably ship soon realized that I could save a decent amount of money going with the Japanese version of the Panny. I know the on screen menu is Japanese but challenges are fun right? The warranty is the same and I do not think there is much of an advantage waiting for them to eventually turn up here in Canada. I did see a 300U as a demo in a smaller room with indirect lighting hitting the screen so it did not look all that impressive. I doubt it was calibrated properly either. It got me on the front projector bandwagon though. They had two large screen LCD RPTVs in adjacent rooms but guess which display most people ended up viewing the most ? ( 3 guesses only ) One last question. Does the 500 have as many user adjustments through the menu on DVI as it does via component? I found out that the Sanyo is a bit more limited on DVI. Just curious. :) :) :)

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
Most units are more limited on DVI because of the nature of the signal. So the blunt answer is no, it doesn't have as many options unfortunately.

-MP

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.