AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of buying the Panny PT-AX100U projector and using a CIH screen. I know to get the best performance, I'll need an Anamorphic lens, but my question is, will I need a seperate scaler, or will the projector do the required scaling? Has anyone else used this projector for a 2:35:1 screen? I'd be interested to hear about their results. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
197 Posts
mwclare,

The AX100 has the vertical stretch needed to do CIH, so an external scaler is not required if you don't wish to purchase one. They're expensive, I know. lol

I've used the AX100 in a CIH setup with great results, as I've been reviewing a number of various projectors. Might check out the thread titled PT-AE1000U CIH? listed here in this forum.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Does the AX100 do the horizontal squeeze required to show 16:9 material while leaving the lens in place?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson_sb /forum/post/0

Does the AX100 do the horizontal squeeze required to show 16:9 material while leaving the lens in place?

No. This is the reason I have a lens with pass-through in front of my AX100.

Laters,

Jeff

·
Registered
271 Posts
To accomplish the horizontal squeeze for 16:9 material why couldn't you set it to a 4:3 aspect and let the lens stretch it back to 16:9?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Steve -

Over HDMI I do not believe that you can force the projector into 4:3 mode since it is a 16:9 projector. I will check this out tonight. I will also check out the other inputs and HD vs non HD material tonight. Additionally if this method works you are losing tons of resolution when watching 16:9 and 4:3 material.

Laters,

Jeff

·
Registered
11 Posts
Did you take the plunge? I'm trying to decide before the current promotion on the Panny runs out at the end of the month. What lens were you considering? I am thinking about going with the new Prismasonic 1500 manual. Seems that finally they have finally resolved the issues of CA, sharpness, pincushioning, etc. with that lens. I wouldn't want to make the investment in a CIH setup and be stuck viewing a less than stellar image. Also, what screen did you go with for the Panny?

Thanks,

Scott

·
Registered
10 Posts
I will run this setup when I receive my ordered FE1500M lens, I am projecting onto a DIY screen 1 x 2.37 meter painted with Screen Goo in Digital Grey with good result, and my PT-AX100 is about 5 meter from the screen.

I can also confirm that you can't choose 4:3 over HDMI, works fine with component.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.