AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I might be able to find the answer to my question if I read through the Official New Panny thread, but 120 pages can be a little daunting, and searching for this does not help.

I am ready to pull the trigger on the Panasonic, but a high end store tells me that the 42PX50 is better than the 42PX500. I thought the only difference between the two was the 500 has a SD card slot and a pc input, and 6 speakers instead of 2.

Is the high-end store just trying to offload its inventory, or is there any meaningful difference in the plasmas?

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

One is HD and one is ED ... a slight difference in the number of pixels. About 360,000 pixels worth.

Regards

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael TLV
Greetings

One is HD and one is ED ... a slight difference in the number of pixels. About 360,000 pixels worth.

Regards
Wrong. Both are HD. PX500 has more features and a different case. They're otherwise identical. PX500 adds:

1. Split screen pic by pic

2. Better speaks (6 instead of 2 and an extra 10 watts) plus BBE processing - side mounted rather than underneath screen.

3. PC Input

4. SD card and PC card readers

5. TV Guide

6. Swiveling stand on 42" model

7. Control of VCR/DVD-R via guide and IR flasher

8. Front inputs for S-vid and composite

9. Strangely, lower power consumption

I'm likely missing a few, but these are the "biggies". Salesman was incorrect.

Comparison: http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/vModelComparisonResults?storeId=15001&catalogId=13401&catGro upId=24973&cacheProgram=11002&cachePartner=70000000000000057 02&surfCategory=Plasma%20TVs&items=93882|93192|

·
Registered
597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quant
I know I might be able to find the answer to my question if I read through the Official New Panny thread, but 120 pages can be a little daunting, and searching for this does not help.

I am ready to pull the trigger on the Panasonic, but a high end store tells me that the 42PX50 is better than the 42PX500. I thought the only difference between the two was the 500 has a SD card slot and a pc input, and 6 speakers instead of 2.

Is the high-end store just trying to offload its inventory, or is there any meaningful difference in the plasmas?
pretty much those are the main differences. They are BOTH HD. The 500 also has a different stand, speakers are on the side, and a TV Guide built in (in case you plan on using Cable card this can come in handy, since Cable card doesnt have one). Whatever "HIGH END" store that is, never return because they are either A:incompetent, or B: liars. There is no doubt the 500 is Better, how much better is up to you, but it has everything the 50 has plus these added features.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

Misread that one .. thanks

Regards

·
Premium Member
18,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quant

There are several differences. Personally the PX500U series has nothing extra that i need so i defaulted to the PX50U, and i like the simpler look of the PX50 more anyway.

The Panasonic website has a handy "Compare Plasmas" feature that lists everything side by side - check it out:

Compare 42PX500U and 42PX50U

·
Vendor
31,432 Posts
I think the appearance alone is worth the extra cash. Not to mention in the future you may need some of those extra features. If you are not wall mounting the Swiveling stand on the 500U is aluminum not plastic also.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma
I think the appearance alone is worth the extra cash. Not to mention in the future you may need some of those extra features. If you are not wall mounting the Swiveling stand on the 500U is aluminum not plastic also.
To you it may appear better looking but for others the less busy, less 'bezelly' look of the 50u is preferred. I certainly wouldn't pay extra for the 500u appearance.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by housecor
6. Swiveling stand on 42" model

|
Does the 50" also have the swiveling stand?

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mit07
Does the 50" also have the swiveling stand?
Fraid not.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by housecor
Fraid not.
The salesguy at Magnolia told me that it did. Looks like he was mistaken. :confused:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys.

Its interesting how the "high end" stores will try to sell you their models. I was told clearly that the "other" model is "older and lower-end" and only offered by big chain lo quality stores.

I looked at the Panny website, and found exactly what you guys told me, but wanted to confirm just in case. Thanks. I'm trying to search for the best price and will be joining the select group here of 42px500 owners shortly.

·
Vendor
31,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanP
To you it may appear better looking but for others the less busy, less 'bezelly' look of the 50u is preferred. I certainly wouldn't pay extra for the 500u appearance.
Your right this is my personal opinion. I like the busy look. Everyone has there preference.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mit07
The salesguy at Magnolia told me that it did. Looks like he was mistaken. :confused:
He was. The 42" swivels, but the 50" doesn't. 50" PX500 owners have confirmed so in the Panny thread.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had to research this myself as well, I was pretty sure the only diff was the PC input (and other input features). I was mentioning it to my bud at the store and one of the sales guys walked up and talked about how the 500U was a "better built" tv, and mentioned how it weighs more (???). Whatever.

One of my main things in looking for a tv is the PC input so it has to be the 500, but I can see that this wouldn't mean much to everybody. Personal preference.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I'm considering the PX500 for the PC input, but I haven't seen it in person. I'm around the PX50 all the time at work and love it. How does a computer look on it? We have a computer with a 9800Pro video card hooked up to the Pioneer 50" 5050 and it doesn't look overly great compared to a monitor (although granted, there's a big difference between a 50" screen and a 17" LCD monitor).

For fear of slight burn-in even after the first 200 hours, I'd probably use it as a secondary computer mostly for media (internet surfing and such would remain on the other computer). Admittedly, I'm not overly paranoid about burn-in because we've had the PX50 on display for a couple of months with absolutely zero burn-in and it runs all day long on either a 30-minute loop or (very frequently) on a live Discovery HD feed.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Towel.. I have not seen it with a PC input, but I expect it to be very good. I originally purchased a Samsung 4272 and PC at the tv's native resolution of 1024x768 is the best looking thing that it does by far imo. I think it is mostly due to the fact that the tv does not have to interpolate pixels -- it is given per pixel info specifically.

I have the same concerns with burn-in while doing PC duty. I have used the 4272 a little and saw a decent amount of after-image, but it was cleared easily with some regular TV for a minute or 2. Also, I switched to a brighter wallpaper and see very little afterimage now. However, I use that PC as a jukebox, so I do plan on buying a small cheap lcd (15"ish) for displaying playlists. Having a good visualization plugin looks incredible on the plasma, though :)

I will be returning the 4272 for the 42px500 sometime this week (hopefully.. it is dependent on my friend with an suv to haul for me). I will post my impressions when I get the 500 setup, though I expect it to be excellent.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The fact that having PiP is actually an added extra for the 500U is surpsing. Shouldn't all TVs of over 1000 have some sort of picture in picture. Side by side I could understand but geesh.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.