1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I am in the market for a 42" plasma and I have it down to 3 models:

Panny PZ77, Panny PX77 or the Samsung 4264/54

I have a question about the PZ77. In the spec sheets i am looking at online (bestbuy, etc) it says its display capability is 1080p only. The Sammy lists all the resolutions (480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i - as it is not a 1080p model).

I assume from this spec that it must upconvert or scale all inputs to 1080p? Is this a correct assumtion? Is this good or bad?

I know the PZ77 is a 1080p model and that is probably overkill for a 42", but i am concerned that non HD channels might look terrible with everything being converted to 1080p... assuming i am understanging this correctly.

I have heard the Sammy has a better picture but i am concerend that the Sammy can not accept a 1080p signal. Even the 720p Panny will at least accept 1080p and scale it to its native resolution. I understand 1080p is only Bluray and HD DVD right now, but i am just trying to plan a little bit for the future for when i buy a bluray player.

can anyone give me some advice?

Thanks!

·
Registered
276 Posts
I have never personally tested it, however I believe the Samsung will still accept a 1080p input over HDMI. We have used a 1080p blu-ray played on a 40" 720 LCD of theirs which would compel me to think they wouldn't change this for their plasmas.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
All digital TVs scale to there native res, for the Samsung that would be 768 for the Panasonic that would be 1080, neither TV can display say 480 but need to scale the image to there native res.

The Panasonic does a very nice job of scaling.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I would personally recommend to stay away from the Panny 77u, the antiglare screen decreases PQ IMO.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
IMHO The 77 losses very very little to the 700 in a dark room BUT if you watch TV with the lights on or the windows open there is no contest the 77 far superior.

·
Registered
215 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tower101 /forum/post/13008292

IMHO The 77 losses very very little to the 700 in a dark room BUT if you watch TV with the lights on or the windows open there is no contest the 77 far superior.

Agreed

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
Is the anti-glare on the 700u that bad? I owned a Samsung 5044 with no anti-glare and it wasn't that bad.

Same with a 5084 and now a Pio 5080.

All in my living room with a good amount of daylight on the weekends.

It doesn't wash out the image or raise the blacks.

Sure there are reflections, most notably off the shiny black frame, but no more so than the crt's I used all my life and usually better.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi,

So i have no worries about it the Panny scaling everything to 1080p?

Can someone speak to the regular SD cable or non-HD digital channels and how they look on the 77z?

Can anyone shed some light on 480i? And its upscaling to 1080p?

I guess that is my biggest fear. Is digital cable / satelite 480p?

thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts