AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The recent reports of premature bulb blowings on the AE100 and on AngryofMayfair's 711XU promted me to dig up this post by dm in January. I believe I read about this supposed recall in another post or two as well. If anyone's speaking to Panasonic or has any information about this recall; If it happened ,exactly why it happened (if it did) and to what extent it got resolved, ..please inform the rest of us. Are there issues Panny knows about but hasn't completely resolved and disclosed? Should the limited bulb warranty be extended if this is the case? At this point this 'recall' is unsubstatiated rumor and the few early bulb deaths may well be within statistical failure norms. If there is something to it though, in the way of a recognized production or engeneering shortcoming, it would be nice to have it in the open and have the cusomers dealt with fairly. -Noam (awaiting the arival of little 75U)

dm posted 01-25-02 01:42 PM

I too am awaiting a 711xu to get back in stock. My local sales guy has told me that panasonic had a bad run of lamps and has recalled all of the stock ((511 and 711) back to the factory for lamp replacments. hence, the nationwide shortage of units.

recall rumor mentionedin this threa

·
Registered
306 Posts
Very good points bonedog - the price of these lamps is very high - I planned on mine lasting around the 4000 hrs that are claimed by Panasonic. Luckily (?) it died within 2 mths - if this had happened at (say) 6 mths and 700 hrs I would have been in theory up for the price of a replacement lamp... :-(

I am really beginning to wonder if this PJ stuff is really worth it - even the cheapest PJ is a fairly major investment compared to a tv or most consumer goods for that matter. What with 90 days on the lamp and no gaurantee on hot/dead pixels, the whole big screen investment is beginning to look decidedly risky business at this stage in it's development....

Whilst I can understand the 90 day warrantee on such a delicate item (bulbs) where many things can happen to shorten it's life, especially business executives in too much of a hurry to let the PJ cool before lugging it on to the first plane out of town, I think that somehow Panasonic should allow a little more warranty for fixed installations such as HT. - how this is worked out I don't know but I don't see why they have to gear things around the lowest common denominator - the ones who treat their PJ's with kid gloves yet still have problems are the ones who have to suffer...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.