AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a use Panny RP82 from a fellow AVSer a few months back. IIRC, he said he already replaced the spindle motor once, but I could be wrong.

Long story short, I'm getting H02 and H07 errors all the time now, most common when I start playing a DVD, then stop it, it won't restart, or play from a pause. Now it doesn't really play period.

Long story short, I have two options: either fix the RP82 or replace it, most likely with an S97. I know the H07 error is either the optical pickup or the spindle motor, so I'd like to get both repaired, just in case. How much would this cost on an out-of-warranty DVD player if I drop it off at a Panny service center?

And let's just say I do get it repaired, will this fix the problem permanently, or will the motor wear down again and eventually need to be replaced again? I ask this because very often I'll watch a DVD, and then pause it maybe for a few hours, and I don't want to be repairing this every few months because of my admitedly bad viewing habits. And if wear is a problem, does the S97 fix this issue with a better motor?

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I had the motor replaced on my 82 and so far no issues. The replacement motors are of a new design, whereas the old ones were apparently faulty.

I've owned both the 82 and the S97. Hooked both up to my Pioneer Elite 53" CRT HDTV. In direct comparison, I still prefer the 82 and sold the 97. The 97 would be a fantastic player if they would get rid of the macroblocking, pink issues, and get the image smoother. I always thought the image was very noisey. On my display, I found the 82 the better player. The 97 is a very good player though, but has it's image problems.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Clangro:

The brush motors is the main problem for the motors. The currnet models such as the S97 use the direct drive motors which cures this issue.

The motor would need to be changed again but it should be able to last long. Just curious, how's the enviroment where the RP82 is and Avg hours used per day?

For authorized shop repair for a unit, they overchange for both parts and labor. I've repaired these myself and for several members so far.

Sango

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clangro
...Long story short, I have two options: either fix the RP82 or replace it, most likely with an S97. I know the H07 error is either the optical pickup or the spindle motor, so I'd like to get both repaired, just in case. How much would this cost on an out-of-warranty DVD player if I drop it off at a Panny service center?...
If it were me, I'd fix the RP82 and I'd PM Sango and get him to do it. This guy is like the god of Pan. DVDs.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I got some bad news and some...bad news. :(

I dropped it off at Norman's Electronics for repair. $50 diagnosis, whatever. Turns out they said that the laser assembly AND the spindle motor need to be replaced, along with the alignment (I googled and found info from Sango about the perfectly flat disc that they use to fine tune jitter). That's bad news #1, it needs the most repairs you could have.

Bad news #2 is I got quoted $250-275, $100 for labor, $150+ for parts. That sounded way too high for the parts (sango posts from a year ago said it was $75 for the optical, $35 for the motor), and a bit high on the labor. So I told them to give me the parts #s and wait. I went to Panasonic's parts store online where the optical pick up is $52 and the motor is $36. That I would pay.

The parts numbers he gave me were RAF3023A and RXQ0742B. Panasonic's site said those have been replaced by RAF3023A-1 and RXQ1218KIT.

So right now he's going to see why the parts are so expensive and get back to me. I honestly don't see how he could rationalize charging so much more for those parts. Now, a few questions:

1. Will this fix the problem with the motor brushes wearing over time, or will this same problem happen again?

2. Are those prices insane? Do you think there is any chance I could order the parts and give them to him to fix if he won't go down on parts cost?

3. Sango, how much would it cost to get you to fix it? :) I don't want to do it, since I've already spent $50 for the diagnostics that would go towards the repair, but if it's $50 wasted + $100 for Sango to fix, I'd rather do that than $275.

As for use, it depends. I'd say it gets maybe 1-2 hours a day of active use (actively watching a movie), and 4 hours of inactive use (pause). Is that just bad habit?

Edit: Perhaps I should have mentioned I also have a Mitsubishi WD-52525 52" DLP TV, if that has any impact in the decision to fix or replace.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I don't know about the optical assembly, but the RXQ1218KIT is correct for the spindle motor. It's what I had done with my RP82, performed by Sango, and I've had no problems since.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
The new motor is still using brush motors so that will still be a disadvantage compared to a direct drive motor (aka brushless) but, if it's a good brush one, it should last long. I've changed a few motors including my own and they are still operating today (compared to the original motors which didn't last up to expectations).

The prices seem a bit high but looking at what the authorized store is charging on the parts it's been overpriced. Getting them from Panasonic directly would be the best choice.

I believe you mentioned that one of my posts said the optical is around $75 but that looks like it is for the RAF3022A-1 (Panny raised the pricd to $95) which is for other models. During that time, I later found out that the RAF3023A-1 (was $48, now $52) can be used instead - saving $.

The pause mode would not be a good idea because the disc is still spinning, therefore putting unecessary wear on the motor. The player should be in stop in this case. Otherwise, I don't find anything wrong with the player habbits.

I can fix the unit but I'm in another home so it will be a while before I can fix it.

Sango

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sango
The new motor is still using brush motors so that will still be a disadvantage compared to a direct drive motor (aka brushless) but, if it's a good brush one, it should last long. I've changed a few motors including my own and they are still operating today (compared to the original motors which didn't last up to expectations).

The prices seem a bit high but looking at what the authorized store is charging on the parts it's been overpriced. Getting them from Panasonic directly would be the best choice.

I believe you mentioned that one of my posts said the optical is around $75 but that looks like it is for the RAF3022A-1 (Panny raised the pricd to $95) which is for other models. During that time, I later found out that the RAF3023A-1 (was $48, now $52) can be used instead - saving $.

The pause mode would not be a good idea because the disc is still spinning, therefore putting unecessary wear on the motor. The player should be in stop in this case. Otherwise, I don't find anything wrong with the player habbits.

I can fix the unit but I'm in another home so it will be a while before I can fix it.

Sango
Will the player remember at what point you stopped so I can resume at the same spot I left off at?

How much would it cost for you to fix it? Feel free to PM me if you don't feel comfortable publically addressing it. Would you consider buying it if I just don't feel like repairing it and go buy something brand new to replace it?

Both the motor and optical pickup will wear down again eventually, right? What is the estimated life of each one, given your prolific experience with Panny players? If you can't fix it due to other obligations, is $100 in labor reasonable, or super-high priced? Will I be priced pretty much the same regardless of where I go?

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
The player does remember where you last stopped so you can resume where you left off. The assumption is you that you press stop once, if pressed twice it will say "STOP" on the unit's display will not remember.

Yes, both optical and spindle will wear down eventually. I couldn't give you a straight figure because it is expected to unit's life span. A RP91 user PMing me about a year ago their unit 2000+ hours and was worried about the unit failing and I told him not to worry simply because most users who had this problem when the unit was about a year old or their unit less than 300 hours running on it.

The $100 is overpriced, and it's going to be a simlar price anywhere you go. I you may have also found a post where Panasonic charged me about $70 in labor but they didn't charge me on the parts even thou it was out of warrrenty (must be because I kept the unit in great shape because fold up thing is still on top of it).

http://home.comcast.net/~avs_sango/dvd2.zip

·
Registered
127 Posts
I purchased the RP82 a couple of years ago. After about 1 year, I started to receive the dreaded H02 and H07 errors. At that time I thought I would put it aside and replace it with a Denon 2200. I recently got the bug to tinker with the old RP82. After some digging around, I decided to take the unit into an authorized repair site. They too wanted to charge an arm and a leg for the parts and labor:

Optic [RAF3023A] $92

Spindle [RXQ1218KIT] $62

Labor $90

Looks like I am in the wrong line of work. So I am going to try to replace the parts myself. My main question is: Are there any laser adjustment (focusing) required with the new parts?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
The laser would need to be re-adjusted if a optical or spindle would be replaced to make sure it's set to a optimal position. The disc is expensive as well in order to do it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
That's what I was afraid of......If I remember correctly, the disc costs around $100. Pretty expensive for a 1 or 2 time calibration. Thanks again for the quick response.

·
Registered
7,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sango
Yup, nomrally the techs would have it. I have this disc myself.
Not to get off onto an entirely different tangent but...

... do players benefit from a routine optical calibration using one of these service discs?

Thanks

RJ

·
Banned
1,661 Posts
What's the difference between a brush motor and a direct-drive motoer (brushless)? Which one is better? What kind of motor does all new DVD players use today? How long do they last?

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
I would say, it is not necessary to do a routine optical calibration, it's more of a one time thing if you change an optical or spindle. Consider like you're going to the eye doctor to get a prescription - the patient will say if it's getting clear or worse as the doctor flips through the lenses. For the DVD player's case, it's the lense is fixed, the only thing that needs to be done is to adjust the tilts to adjust the optical to an optimal position, which is shown by the jitter numbers (get the number to as low as you can with the special disc as a reference).

You can find the difference betwen brushless vs brush here. This site sums it up here, and it's easier than me trying to explain it. http://www.motionvillage.com/trainin...brushless.html .

·
Registered
127 Posts
Quote:
Yup, normally the techs would have it. I have this disc myself.
Do you happen to have the part number for claibration disc? I assume it can be ordered from Panasonic's parts.

By chance, would you know if the disc is panasonic specific, or could it work on a Denon or something else? I would like to think that DVDs in general, require the same focus since they all use the same wavelength and same numerical apeture, hence the same focus point.

Thanks again.... :)

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
There is a part number, but this part has to be ordered by the phone. This is for Panasonic units (that includes the Denon DVD-1600, only exception). I have no way of knowing if it does work for other brand names units since they can implement differnet ways of performing this if so.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Sango, I have a problem with my RP82 when playing DVD+R DL (8.5GB), the image pixelizes or makes funny blocking like a sat receiver on bad receiving conditions, on some discs it does it for 5-6 min and then dissapears on others it does it all the time, could this be related to this thread and I'm having a bad optic or motor? It plays fine DVD-R (4.7GB) and all original discs.

I haven't upgraded yet the firmware and before I spend the money I would like to know if my player is going to die soon.

Thx.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
I don't think it sounds like an optical problem since it plays fine on the other media. Most likely it could be do with the burn quality of the DL since the units are a bit tolerent on media.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.