AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a regionfree version of the RP82 & it refuses to play my DVD-RAM & DVD-Audio discs. For DVD-RAM, it shows a message saying 'this type of disc cannot be played'. For DVD-Audio, it only plays the Dolby Digital 5.1 portion, not the main DVD-A content. When I tried the Blue Man Group DVD-A, it just played a documentary on the DVD-A side of the disc -- I just couldn't get it to play the actual DVD-A content.

Can someone with the RP82 verify that DVD-RAM & DVD-Audio discs plays properly. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
DVD-Audio works fine for me. Are you using the analog outputs? I only have a few discs but those work perfectly. I don't have any DVD-RAM so I can't comment on those.

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I'm using analog outputs. Joe, when you pop a DVD-A disc in, does the LED indicator show "DVD A"? Mine still shows DVD-V. The audio that gets played is the DD5.1 content, not the DVD-A content.

On my previous player, the RP91, it defaulted to the DVD-A content when a DVD-A disc was inserted.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I also have a region free RP82. I have had no problems playing DVDRAM. I only use the Panasonic brand. I don't use DVD-A.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Brajesh, as somebody pointed out to me, make sure in the setup menu that you have DVD video set to OFF (first item in last setup menu tab). I always have, but if you turn it ON, it will not recognise a DVD-A as one, but as a DVD-V, and the DVD-A specific (hi-res) tracks will be invisible.

Yes, I and some others have some issues playing the high-res surround mix on some NEW Warner DVD-A's on the RP82. I also cannot get the DD mix to play properly unless I turn DVD video ON. It works more or less fine for older releases, but not for their latest batch (allegedly, I only have 2 new ones, and have only tried one of them, to cut my losses).

Edit: I now have two new release Warners (coincidentally two that CC Rider also has, another thread re Yamaha/RP91 probs) Linkin Park and Yes that don't work properly. I did not keep the Warner discs I had bought in the meantime, sorta gave up on them for a while... So be careful, disc format may be "confusing", and lead to incorrect assumptions (not that I know what the correct one is).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.