AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the RP91. I use it with a Panny 6UY plasma which I understand has a de-interlacer built in.

What exactly is the function of the progressive out button on the RP91 and should I use it with my 6UY? With button pushed in, on some DVD's it oversaturates the color and punches up the contrast to unacceptable levels. However, it improves the PQ on Monsters.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
You have to readjust the color, contrast and other settings on the TV for progressive (480p) format. A progressive scan DVD player uses a de-interlacer in the digital mode (before conversion to analog, so its cleaner) to combine the odd/even fields of an interlaced frame to produce a single frame (720x480 resolution) that is output 60frames/sec for 480p. For film-based titles (24fps) a good de-interlacer will be able to use 3:2 pulldown to do that process perfectly, however many titles have a messed up cadence at some editing points and poorer DVD players may comb at those points. Also video mode titles (not 24fps, but 30fps interlaced video) require a more complex method to de-interlace, some like the older Genesis chip used in the RP91 are not very good in this mode - they produce a very soft lower resolution picture. The Faroudja and Silcon Image de-interlacers are a lot better for video-mode titles and also are better for film-mode titles that have incorrect flags, this includes many Disney DVDs like Monsters,Inc.

In any case, progressive scan (de-interlacing in the DVD player) is in most cases superior to using interlaced scan and de-interlacing in the TV since the latter requires conversion to analog first (component video is analog) and then re-conversion to digital by the TV before the de-interlacing occurs, that can introduce some noise.

How is your DVD player connected? Use component video connection. By the way many DVD players shift the black level (from 75IRE to 0IRE) with component/progressive compared to interlaced - this would also appear to increase the color saturation, so that might be what you are seeing. Many DVD players have a setup menu setting for the black level to darker or lighter - look for that setting and try it in both options and compare.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.