Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Panny RP91 purchase Plan

OK, getting ready to pull the trigger on this one.

I see JandR (auth. dealer) has it in stock in Black for $499 + $9 s/h.

Pruchase with my AMEX, then do the price match thing from another site.

I see prices like $436 in a few non- Auth sites (via dealtime.com). This way I get full warranty form an auth dealer and the best price from AMEX.

I see used ones for sale frequently, but sellers typically want $400 + shipping.... I figure why not spend ~$40 more for a brand new unit with full warranty from an auth delaer and I onyl have to copy/fax a few receipts to AMEX for the price match plan.

Anyone else seen a better price/method to pick up a RP91K.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah-hah. Good point. I guess I'm brainwashed by my last Onkyo Purchase.

So with this in mind, where is the cheapest/best place to purchase an RP91?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Rm,

Can you direct me to some info on Amex's price matching policy. I've always used Amex with my HT purchases but never realized the do price matching. Like you, I'm about ready to take the RP91 plunge.

Thanks!

Mel

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I just found this....., sorry

As a reader found, the American Express Blue Card will end its Best Value Guarantee on April 30, 2002, at midnight ET. A signature benefit of the Blue Card, the Best Value Guarantee allows cardholders to request a refund when a lower price was found for a purchase made with AmEx Blue.

Too bad, I just used this when I paid $225 for an AMD 1800+ CPU and within 60 days found it for $125. AMEX refunded me the $100 difference

Looks like this is not available any more.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Even though Panasonic doesn't require purchasing from authorized dealers to get warranty don't just buy from the cheapest place you can find on the NET becasue there are A LOT of ripoff sites that give real low prices, charge your card and you never get the equipment. Instead find all the good prices and come to these types of forums and ask if others have had experience with the site before buying.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I was about to order it from ecost.com and their web site screwed up with an ODBC error and today being Saturday, no one is there to take a phone order, so on a chance I called JandR.com to see if they'd price match it (knowing fully that ecost is not a auth dealer).... so I call JandR, they say, yes we have an RP91K in stock for $499, I request a price match to ecost of $437, and they come back and say, well, YES, we can price match the shipped price of $455 (ecost charges $18.95 shipping)..... so cool, I finally puled the trigger and should get one shortly for $455 shipped from an auth dealer.

I had considered the RP82, but I have a Pioneer 532 RPTV with Lock in full mode , so I need the scaling of the RP91.... AND, I hate the Silver/Black finish of the RP82 anyways. I also just printed the nice RP91 FAQ from this forum for easy setup once the RP91 arrives.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Congratulations Rmassey! You will be extremely pleased with the RP91 when you get it! Be sure to check the firmware version and update it to 2.50 if it isn't already at that version.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Frank, I did ask the date stamped on the unit and they told me it is dated 5/31/02, I have no idea if this reflects a current firmware or not.

BTW, how do I check the firmware level, is it obvious or hidden somewhere?

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Rmassey
Thanks Frank, I did ask the date stamped on the unit and they told me it is dated 5/31/02, I have no idea if this reflects a current firmware or not.

BTW, how do I check the firmware level, is it obvious or hidden somewhere?
To check the firmware version press the pause, stop, and open/close buttons on the player and the number 7 on the remote (all simultaneously). The last three numbers give you the firmware number.

To download the new firmware click on the link below.

ftp://ftp.imagesoftcorp.com/RP91v250.zip

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
Press STOP, PAUSE AND OPEN/CLOSE on the front of the player with one hand and then press 7 on the remote control with your other hand. You really just need to look at the last three digits.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey, very cool guys, thanks for the info. Don't know if I'll need it, but I've downloaded it anyways. So after I burn the image with Nero, do I just drop it into the RP91 for an upgrade, or is there a secret handshake for that process as well?

Edit...

Well, looks like I found out here....

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...threadid=96646

all the info I need to do the update.

thanks again,

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I am debating wheter or not to buy one of these units myself. How do you guys like the RP91? The local A&B Sound is selling them for $699 Canadian and have one left new in stock and one demo for sale. He told me once they are gone, they are gone...no more to be had. Should I buy one?

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
One other thing I forgot to ask, I assume that the unit has 6 channel analog outputs since it has built in DTS and DD decoders?

Does anyone have a picture of the back of the unit?

Thanks,

Brad

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Thank you for the link. Did you receive yours yet? If so, what do you think about the unit.

Thanks,

Brad

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Not yet.... Ordered it on Sat 6/22. I expect it this week. I'll let you know how I like it once it arrives.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, I got the RP91 from Jand R yesterday, kinda slow on the shipping, but whatever. I ordered it a week ago on Sat 6/22.

I set it up in the rack, went thru the RP91 FAQ from this forum and cheked the firmware. It was already at 250, so no need to update it. I went thru the setup process, via the action and display menus. At first I was only looking at the action menu and cound not find many of the setting from the FAQ. I thought,well this doesn't look so bad (many bad GUI reports online), then I finaly found the display menus and got out the manual to decipher the goffy pictures.... OK, now I see why so many complain about the UI. It pretty much sucks and I hate the little joystick thingy on the remote. My next project is to get my RS1994/Jp1 setup to control the RP91.

The first disc I put in was TFE-Superbit, to see the best picture from the PS output. It does look much better than my Sony Interlaced output. I then tried CD-R (my sony would only play CDRWs) then an MP3 disc and a VCD, all worked out fine. Next I need to pick up a DVD-A and listen to that new (to me) format. BTW, my local CC doesn't even know what a DVD-A disc is, they pointed me to SACD and I spent way too much time trying to explain to them the difference. What a bunch of Nimrods, I told them they may want to visit their own website now and then.

Overall, I like the display from the PS output. I still need to play with it some more, but my first impression is it's a winner. I hope those that buy an RP82 get an improved UI and perhaps a better remote.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Well, it turns out that the so called "new unit" that my dealer had "in the back" was already opened! What a bummer. :mad: It does not look like I can get a new unit locally anymore, so I might have to pass on this unit. I am currently running a Yamaha DVD-S700 which is a Panny A310 I believe...hopefully Panasonic will come out with another "high end" unit like the RP-91. (in regards to picture and build quality. I am not too concerned with progressive output, only interlaced since I run a QuadScan into my CRT projector...I have also been thinking that there might not be that much of a difference between my current DVD player and the RP-91.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.