1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI all,

OK,

This is really a good forum.

I have a 4:3 HDTV-Ready TV. Now I am shopping around for a DVD player. Panny S55 would be the one I will go, but I have a big question here.

So, if I play DVD on the player, the picture will have bars on the top and bottom on 4:3 TV, right? My question is that I have heared that there are players that will fill in the whole 4:3 TV when playing DVD, such as Samsung has one. Is there a Panny player that will do it? or any other good ones? I am not familiar with these terms. The S55 may have that feature, but I don't what is exactly called. Can anyone help me?

thanks

macsp

·
Registered
239 Posts
PLEASE !!!

Do NOT act STUPID !

Just accept the fact that your TV at 4:3 has an aspect ratio of 1.33:1

Not all video materials will be in that aspect ratio

There is NO way around it

This is LIFE

If you are watching a DVD the aspect ratio could be any of these:

1.33:1 (or 4:3 which is "standard" TV size and original film frame size)

1.66:1

1.78:1 (or roughly 16x9 which is what a WIDESCREEN HDTV uses)

1.85:1

2.35:1

At least those are the most common aspect ratios you will see.

To try and make anything wider than 1.33:1 fit your screen will mean that you will either be cutting off the sides of the image or you will be scretching it.

Let's say you had a famous work of art ... a painting for instance. Now let's say that this painting is very wide ... much more wide than it is tall. You have only two roughly square frames to put it in. One is a perfect size for the height of the painting but since it is square and the painting is wider than it is taller would you put the painting in that frame and chop off the sides after centering it withing the frame or would you use your other square frame you have which is just wide enough for the painting but then you will have "dead" space above and below it after centering it. Oh wait, that is what is often called a "mask" or in video terms WIDESCREEN/LETTERBOXED.

Get over it.

And stop acting STUPID.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman

·
Registered
10,457 Posts
I hope Secret will, include Penny s35 and 55 in their new shoot out, along with long promised philips 963sa and denon 2900

·
Registered
931 Posts
FulciZombieFan

Please try and be a bit more polite in the future. I really enjoy this forum because it does not have the bickering and name calling as do other forums.

Yes I like OAR and would rather have black bars/letterbox than chop off parts of the movie, but I do realize that there are some people who hate those black bars.

anyway back to the topic at hand

macsurees

The only way I know to get rid of the black bars on movies not in 1.33:1 AR is to use the zoom feature. This can get rid of the letterbox bars but will also chop off the sides of the picture and will stretch the picture lowering PQ. I do not know what type of zoom feature the Panasonic S55 has on it. JVC-500BK had several zoom levels and the first level would get rid of letterbox.

I would learn to live with it on the movies that are only available in OAR and just buy the full screen versions of movies.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jules343,

thanks for your honest reply. Yes, some people in the forum think that it is for experts, if then where would non-experts like me will go?

Yes, that is the type of reply I was expecting. Now i can check the JVC to see the spec. I agree with you, I would rather have the letterbox instead of losing the picture. Lets see.

macsp

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Patswon..

that is great! I really appreciate you reply. now I can go ahead and buy S55. I don't think I will lose the picture quality over the letterbox, but all I wanted was not to miss the features in the stuff that I buy now.

thanks again

·
Registered
193 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
zoro

Yeah it did, but overall I liked the player. The worst thing about the JVC was the fact that the zoom icon would stay on the screen untill you zoomed back out.

I hear they have fixed this little quirk in their newer models.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Doesn't the JVC's zoom too much even if he wants to get rid of the letterbox bars? I thought they do 2x zoom at minimum, which is way too much for many movies, ie. movies less than 2.20:1 ratio.

From what I understand the new Panny's (eg. S55) should have the kind of variable zoom for fine control and compromise between PQ loss, picture cropping, etc.

But yes, I highly recommend keeping everything in OAR and not do any kind of zooming that would result in cropping (beyond normal TV overscan).

_Man_

·
Registered
931 Posts
Man-Fai Wong

I know on the newer JVC models they reduced the number of zoom options. On my 500 there was a zoom that was pretty dead on for getting rid of the letterbox. Whether or not this first level was one of the zoom options removed on the newer JVC units is beyond me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.