AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You folks are correct, the manuel is hard to follow. So I'm a little confused on how to select the correct menu settings. Here is what I know: I'll connect the S77 to my Plasma HDTV via a HDMI cable. The Hitachi has an optical out that connects to my 5.1DD/DTS amp to its optical in. However, I don't think the HDTV will decode 5.1 or DTS. Does anybody know this? (I do have a 5 speaker and 1 Subwoofer system).

OK. I've think I must turn off the HDMI audio and run a coxial cable out from the S77 to the coxial in on my amp, that way I can decode the DD/DTS signals. Now to the correct menu settings. If these are wrong please advise.

1. AV Enhancer. Set this to "Auto?"

2. Video Output Mode. "On."

3. Transfer Mode. "Auto2" as I'll be using SD TV and DVD signals.

4. HDMI Color. What is best? RGB or YCbCr(4:4:4), I don't know the difference,

5. AV Enhancer. Can I just skip this for now and work on it latter?

6. Audio Tab PCM Digital Output. "On" because I will use a coxial to my amp?

7. Dolby Ditigal/DTS. Set to "bitstream" but I', confused if I have PCM Digital Output to on also (item #6 above).

8. Speaker settings. "a" would be my choice, i.e., multi channel. I do not need to identify each speaker and Large(L) or Small(s) correct? As my amp already does that?

Am really looking forward to the PQ of this DVD Player (already tried the Sammy 850 but returned it) based on the nice words (most of the time) on these forums.

Really appreciate any guidance you can provide a confused fella. Merry Christmas.

P.S. Sorry for the double post, the first one didn't have a Title...

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have the S77 connected to my plasma via HDMi with an optical going to my Yamaha receiver.

The optical line DOES carry the 5.1 and DTS signal to the amp. Here is how mine is set according to your questions

1. AV Enhancer left at Auto

2. Video Output.. never touched

3. Transfer left at Auto

4. HDMI Color went with 4:4:4 (many conversations on this, look it up)

5. AV Enhancer dont worry about

6. Audio PCM Digital set to ON

7. Dolby Digital set to Bitstream.. this enables the signal to DTS

8. Speakers must be set to multiple for 5.1 and I dont think you have to mess with the size of the speakers either.. I just changed em to small but my amp did the same thing

You might have to adjust the video delay, I had a few problems early on with lip synching not matching up.. I set mine to 80ms and this cured the problem. I love the picture, think its awesome and your sound will be fine thru the optical line.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks elvispookie, your reply was EXACTLY what I was looking for. I was wondering about the lip sync issue--and it is so good to hear the the optical out from the HDTV will transfer the DD signals.

I am currently viewing Satellite SD signals on the hitachi until I switch over to Direct TV and take advantage of their $200.00 rebate on their HD STB (H-2).

·
Registered
29 Posts
no problem man.. i have been enjoying mine for a few weeks now, all with the exception of the lip-synch issue but someone here told me what to do. Enjoy the player its good.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.