AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Denon 1600 DVD player, Xbox, and Playstation 2 hooked into the three optical inputs of my Panasonic SA-XR45.

DVD>>> What is the difference between a 6-channel and 2-channel input? When I put it to 6-channel mode, I get nothing. When I put it to 2-channel mode, it automatically detects and outputs to stereo, DD 5.1, or DTS, depending on the DVD.

Playstation 2>>> Not much 5.1 material here. But it does seem to automatically switch modes correctly when a game goes from stereo to DD 5.1.

Xbox>>> Well this one is the kicker. It seems to think everything coming out of my Xbox is in DD 5.1, which I know is not true. My old receiver knew the difference, and would adjust accordingly, but this Panny thinks it's all 5.1. The problem is, I can't switch input mode to say, PLII, since it thinks it's a real 5.1 signal. For the games that aren't really in 5.1, nothing comes out of the rear speakers as you would expect. Those that are really in 5.1 sound great, but I need to know if I can force the Panny to take it a certain way (that sounded really bad) or need to do something to make it be able to know the difference.

I tried swapping inputs, I got the same results. I know that one of the optical inputs is actually a little bit different, but I didn't mess with that one.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.