AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I actually had to go to NH for work this past week, and took the opportunity to go to a Tweeter in Manchester wherer they had the HLM507, the Panny PT-52DL52 and the Sony GWII (50XBR800, I think).

I had them go through ALL sorts of content, from analog OTA to DTV OTA to HD OTA to DSS to DVD. The guys who helped me said that both TVs were OOB configuration, and there were no tweeks on either. I can tell you this much:

There is a SLIGHT difference between the 507 and the 52DL52, but I am certain that it would be VERY hard to detect the difference if they were not right next to each other.

The Panny is slightly "smoother" between areas of shading, but to be honest, the Sammy is nearly as good, and the only way to see the difference is from about 8 inches away. The Panny also does not have as "white a white" as the Sammy. Honestly, the Sammy has better whites. The color between the two is about a draw. I would say that the 507 is "sharper" than the Panny. I THINK I noticed an ever-so-slight flicker on the Panny too. Makes me wonder. The Tweeter price on the HLM507 was $4199 and the Panny was $4999. NOT WORTH $800 for the panny. Also, the Sammy has about 9" flat surface on the top of it that you could put a center channel on (at least my center channel would fit). No such luck with the Panny, as there is only about 1" on top there.

I also took pictures:

I took photos of the Sammy and the Panny with DSS SD screen shots, DTV (OTA) shots (they have black bars on the right and left), and then action shots. Look at the cop car one on the Sammy. That is the sort of picture you would expect to have ALL KINDS OF PROBLEMS with. I saw a Sammy with DVD in the past at Best Buy (an HLM 5065, with the "old" internals), and when the sales guy put on a dark DVD, the posterization and temporal dithering, etc, etc were VERY noticable. I have Tweeter put on SpiderMan DVD with component cables, and went to a dark scene (with Willam Defoe with a black background), and only at 8" did I see ANY of the stuff that made me concerned at Best Buy about 2 months ago.

I can honestly say there is NO WAY the Pannasonic is worth almost 25% more. If they were the same price, I would say it is a draw, and with the flickering thing still not fixed, I would go with the Sammy. Oh, this was an HLM507, so I don't know if the HLN has even better OOB configuration.

I am waiting on the HLN567, but if it is not available until the end of May, it might be "just as good" to get the HLM507 (except for the 6"). Seriously, it looked great.

One final note: SD material that is dirty looks "bad" on ANY set (the CRT sets, the GWII, the Panny, and the Sammy). They don't look UNWATCHABLE, mind you, but they are fuzzy a bit. Look at the pix, and you will get a great idea of what I mean.

And let me know if you found this helpful, as I was hoping someone would have done this for me...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I think I was shaking a bit when I took the picture of the Sammy in SD, but you can sortof see that both the Sammy and the Panny are "fuzzy" with SD content rom 10". If you are about 8' or more from either set, the picture quality (even for SD) is GREAT. Contrast BLOWS AWAY the GWII. The GWII seems to be incapable of black, opting instead for very dark blue.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since I had to shrink these photos so much for the forum, this picture doesn't give it justice. the software to reduce this picture from 1200x1600 caused some artifacting, but you can get a feel for it. Believe me, this Sammy was GREAT.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As you can see from the lettering from the OTA receiver (a Sony DSS all in one thing), I moved the camera as the shot was taken, but you can get the idea.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This too was fuzzy. This will give you a good idea of what they mean by "terrible" with SD. I disagree. All SD is bad, on any HD set. UNLESS the picture quality is near perfect (see DTV pictures above). Totally watchable, though.

·
Registered
43 Posts
This is my Panasonic 52DL52. Awesome picture even in this off-center shot!

(Some quality is lost since I had to shrink the picture to 640x640)

·
Registered
48 Posts
mcnabola:

How did you find the contrast ratio (or "punch"/3D quality) between the Sammy and Panasonic? When I did a similar challenge in January the OOB Panasonic had more punch than the Sammy, even after applying the recommended tweaks. Perhaps it's time to go back and compare again.

·
Banned
474 Posts
Magnadan,

Is the Panny 52 inches. If so it looks like that is the Bello stand from Best Buy for plasmas. So I am thinking about getting the sammy 50 inch so it should fit on that stand right?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Vcody,

I did NOT see much of a difference in 3D quality between the sets. I did, however notice a cery large difference in contrast between the DLP sets and the GWII. Here is a pic of the GW II

I am serious when I say that the Sammy is 98% the tv of the Panny. AND it can acommodate a center channel speaker on top (put some shims to make it lean forward, and maybe put some stick'em on it).

I would go and take a look for yourself if you can. I am COMPLETELY satisfied with both TVs (except the 507 has better whites, but that may be an adjustment away). Also, I am scared to death of the flickering (and the extra cost) of the Panny.

The GW II is out for me. You may as well get a CRT for less $$$.

·
Registered
43 Posts
jkv4,

Yes that screen is 52".

Though the Bello stand - which I got from Tweeter - can certaily be used for a plasma, its designed to hold over 200 pounds making it useful for many types of monitors. I don't know about the Samsung, but this particular television is 47.5" across. The front part of it's base is 38". The rear part of the pase is a bit wider than the stand. The stand itself is 40" across. The screen is wider than the stand, so the sides hang over, but it doesn't really bother me. I don't notice it. What DID bother me a bit is that I think it may be too tall. My wife doesn't think so. She likes it as is. I got the TV - I wasn't going to argue with her about the stand. It doesn't really matter though. With a DLP you don't much have to worry as much about the "perfect" viewing angle and I stopped noticing it after a few days anyway.

I couldn't find the "perfect" stand anywhere. They were too tall, not wide enough, didn't have room for other electronic stuff or the wrong color. This works for me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
How is the screen on the Panasonic as far as anti-glare goes? I've seen the Sammy and that was very nice, but have yet to see a Panny on display anywhere around here. Also, the GWII was not that good from what I've seen.

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rscameron
How is the screen on the Panasonic as far as anti-glare goes? I've seen the Sammy and that was very nice, ...
They are about the same. I liked them both side by side.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Very little glare at all. If you look at the picture that I posted above, you'll notice the sunshine coming through the unseen window on the left casting shadows of the speaker and stand on the wall, but not affecting the picture even at this angle. Remember that in order to post a picture on this site it has to be reduced to 640x640, so some quality of the photo has suffered.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.