AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, now the Dell site tells me my shipping date is today! However, the same screen tells me it is unavailable. I emailed my rep to see what's up but have not heard back.

Anyone else on the Dell Panny buy seen similar results? I was originally told early October, then October 29th. Now it says October 18th.

Ideas?

Greg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Greg,

Yesterday we attempted to purchase the Dell Panny.

They were going to sell it to us but then in mid transaction they informed us that it was discontinued, and they could not accept any more orders for that unit.

I then read how several of you made the purchase yesterday, and decided to call back today wanting the discount because we were wrongly refused. They informed us that they could sell it to us but we would have to wait untill December. When asked about the discount, they had to call us back.

When they called back, they said that the reason they removed it from the site, was because Panasonic informed them that the price violated their contract (Many companies only sell to companies that promise never to discount their product, or to never go below X price. The reason Oakleys never go on sale by the way). Of course we complained, and we are waiting for them to call us back.

In answer to your question, It seems as if there is a long wait on those units. (December was the time period we were quoted). And I am sure they will honor all prior sales.

Late,

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Greg099 -

I thought you canceled your order with Dell and got a used pio 50"? I tried using that as an excuse to move my delivery up. Obviously it didn't work - Still shows 12/27. Rogo reported that his order status said call for 'ETA' but still showed 10/28.

Pauly-

Interesting transaction, thanks for the update. BTW panny 42" was back on 'home/home office' web page?

Pioneer will probably raise H--- with them, too. It will be interesting to see if 503cmx's are delivered.

Has anyone taken delivery - or ordered th-50phd3u?

Regards,

Bruce

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was going to, but my screening room is just too small for a 50" TV. My main viewing distance is 8-9 feet, but some folks may be as close as 5'. At that distance, the smallest fault is obvious, and I can't afford the flawless 50 inchers coming out now.

I ordered mine back in early October when they had the first 20% deal. What's disturbing is that my ship date actually moved AHEAD to October 18th.

Anyway, if no one else had the same thing happen, it must be a glitch in the system. I'll keep you posted.

Greg

·
Registered
29 Posts
Greg,

I just checked my account at Dell, and the shipping date on my Panny 42 has been moved up. The shipping date is now tomorrow (10/19). It used to be 10/29.

I actually have mixed feelings about the earlier shipping date because I just read in another thread that Panasonic is still working on the transformer hum problem. So we're likely to get units with this problem; save your box when/if you get yours because we'll likely be shipping it back to Panasonic or Dell or someone to get the problem fixed or for a replacement unit.

George

·
Registered
744 Posts
Hi,

I've been reading this post and would like to know if you could tell me the full address for the Dell site that all of you are referring? I am interested in the 50phd3u as well and only see it for over $10K, also someone on ebay and yahoo is auctioning a URL for a panny? Anyone know what that url is? They actually bid a URL up to $700. Can you believe that. Said the panny site was for around $8500.

Thank for the Dell info ahead.

Peter

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Compromise -

www.dell.com

But you won't find the 50" panny thpwd3u listed, These previous posts are regarding the 42" pannies that were ordered a few weeks ago at Dell's 20% off sale.

You wuold have to call them to see if they still will get a 50" for you, but it was around $11600 list.

There has been several satisfied forum members ordering from Paul at www.projectionone.com you might check with him.

To find out more info, use the search function here.

regards, Bruce

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ok, I just tried to check if my panny had shipped today. When I checked my account online yesterday, dell had indicated that it was supposed to ship today. But now when I click on my order status I simply get a message that the web page is unavailable. :mad:

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Now my shipping status has been moved back to November. I'm waiting for my Rep to call me with exact info, and to tell me whether or not I can get the Pioneer at the same discount. If so, I may upgrade to the new 50" and just be done with it. It's a little large for my room, but I'm tired of waiting for the Panny.

Anyone else getting shipping status changes from Dell? Any word on whether the October ship date from Panaonic has been delayed?

Greg

·
Registered
733 Posts
Any reason to think that this delay is Dell's fault? I have been looking at the 42" models for the last few months (waiting to learn more about the new Fujitsu 4242 and the upcoming 43" Pio), and it appears that noone is getting any new Panny 42" units at this time.

I might have jumped on the Dell special myself but I am really concerned about the buzzing issue that seems to be cropping up.

I suspect that Dell is in the same boat as everyone else (waiting on Panny) and is not at fault.

Thanks for the posts so far, and please keep posting, since others (including me) may go with Dell for a future discounted purchase.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
I just received a answer(email) to my inquiries as to when panny 42" would be available. It took a couple of weeks (+/-). The response contained a chain of communications through Dell marketing and finally to the distributor. Word from (Electrograph) and ultimately Dell is 4 to 6 week lead time.

The alarming thing is that with that kind of lead time Dell may pull it off the web site!

So, if anyone has orders in and can wait they should eventually deliver. If they pull it - it may not be available for future sales.

There was no confirmation as to whether Panasonic delays are due to any fixing of previously discussed problems - just that there was a tremendous backlog!

Regards, Bruce

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm not ragging Dell at all here. We knew going in that there would be delays, and my Rep there has been very good about getting back to me with information. In fact, they have gone above and beyond, even offering to give me the same 20% discount on the new Pioneer 50" or any other Plasma if I want to change my order. Unfortunately, he said the lead time on the Pioneer is the same as the Panny.

I am very close to going back to my original dealer and buying the panny just to get it in and get on with it. It will cost $500 more, but at this point it may be worth it. Otherwise, we could be waiting until after Christmas! My original guy says he'll have one next Monday. Is it possible that some dealers are getting them this month and Electrograph is getting hosed?

Greg

·
Registered
411 Posts
Electrograph is the importer for most of the Panasonics plasmas at this time as I understand it. Your other source may be obtaining them from Electrograph as well. You may wish to check with them. Although Dell has tremendous clout and buying power, they can only obtain a certain amount from Electrograph of those being imported at this time as others are allocated elsewhere.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.