AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone seen the above Panny 37" consumer EDTV plasma in 'the flesh'?

I am told by most vendors, including some highly recommended here, that it is 4-6 weeks 'away', while other online dealers are telling me that they have it in stock; and yes it's the US model, etc.

The TH-37PA20UP looks like it is the correct model for me to buy, based on size; distance from screen, (approx. 7-9 feet); WAF; proportion of SD tv viewing, etc, but I really hate to wait 4-6 weeks for it. On the other hand, I don't want to place an order online for a non-existent plasma.

TIA

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts
Fry's in Manhattan Beach Californial has them. I played with the 37" and it's 42" big brother for a while and they look fantastic.

Too bad i have no use for a Plasma or i'd get one of these babies :)

Here's one of many online vendors that say they have em in stock. Whether that's true or not is another story . . . .

http://www.video-direct.com/panasoni...h37pa20up.html

Did you search google for other vendors?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Does the Fry's in Mahattan Beach have a nice HD setup?

I am interested in the 42" Panny ED or HD.

Work nearby....Satellite World.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Skip the 37" Panny

I think it is missing some key features of the 42" ED.

You don't save much money.

The prices on the Panny 42" ED and soon to be released 42" HD

are dropping fast. ED is near $3000 even. I bet you will get ripped off

and pay more for the 37" ED since it isn't selling as well.

Go Commercial and pay even less.

Plasma's are like breast implants....you can never go too big.

Hugh Hefner

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Stealthfighter
Does the Fry's in Mahattan Beach have a nice HD setup? I am interested in the 42" Panny ED or HD. Work nearby....Satellite World.
The Fry's in Manhattan Beach recently re-arranged their notoriously messy TV area and set up a bunch of different Plasma TVs all in a long row. When i was there last week the new 42" ED Panasonic was on the left bank of TVs and they were all playing a Lord of the Rings DVD. It was next to the 42" Sony WEGA and the Panny picture looked better to my untrained eye, but that movie is so dark and is all pretty much without brightness or color so my impression is limited to whatever detail i could focus on (like the pockmarks and stubble on actors faces and textures in treetrunks and such :)

The smaller right bank of flat panel TVs had the new 37" ED sandwiched between a smaller Mitsubishi LCD and a Philips Plasma and this whole right bank was playing some Sharon Lawrence sitcom on HDNet. The Panny looked great here too. Here's my comments from last week:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=303226

You might want to swing by and have a look . . . .

·
Registered
618 Posts
I bought one yesterday as a second bedroom set, and, so far, so good. I got it from Fry's in Palo Alto, and I was struck at how much better the Panny looked than any of the LCDs that Fry's was demoing. The Panny had beautiful blacks that stayed black regardless of viewing angle, while the LCDs all seemed to have non-uniform blacks with a slight color cast even viewed head-on. When viewed at an angle, the blacks turned gray. There was really no contest; the Panny was the clear PQ winner in that approximate screen size.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all of the advice guys.

I decided to purchase the 37" Panny from an online vendor for a very reasonable price; hope to have it by week's end.

You do get 'more' tv in the 42" for very little extra money, BUT I am severely limited in the space allowable, and due to the fact that we sit no more than 7-9 feet away from the screen, I feel that the 37" with the smaller pixel structure will minimize any 'screen door effect' that may have been apparent this close to the 42".

Bish

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.