AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered one of these from CDW a month ago, about 2 weeks after the $500 MSRP reduction. I'm still waiting!!!

CDW tells me that there's a nationwide shortage of these babies and that everyone's on a waiting list. I called around and found out that most discount places don't have it in stock so I guess it's true.

They now said that they don't have an ETA from Panasonic but don't expect it to be much longer.

Anyone else still waiting for theirs?

Comments, thoughts???

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by JIBBY1
I just bought one in Indianapolis, HH Gregg. $2xxx. They had plenty. "Come back home to Indiana".
What's HH Gregg? So they're the ones who's been hording!

BTW, I got mine for less than that shipped!:D If only they had it in stock!

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by TYoung
They're out there, keep looking. I ordered on Monday and it was delivered yesterday and they are stunning. Good luck!

Thanks for rubbing it in...

I hope you paid as little for yours as I did mine!

·
Registered
7,009 Posts
The Panasonic consumer plasmas may be getting in short support since the current models will be replaced within the next few months with new models that feature the 7th generation display panels (as already being shipped in the new commercial models) and improved signal processing. The factory production of the current consumer models (6th generation) may have already stopped for the switch over to production of the replacement 7th gen. models.

Ron Jones

·
Registered
24 Posts
Received mine yesterday from ABT Electronics in Chicago. Took two weeks exactly from ship date. They didn't say anything about a shortage.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I kept checking circuit city's website on a daily basis never in stock in nearby stores. Well one day I hit the jackpot, bought it online and picked it up the following day. Got it home put it on the stand by myself which was no easy feat let me tell you, my back is still sore. This is where your going to get ill, got it all hooked up and I could not stand the picture it was throwing out. Satellite looked awful on it and DVD through component looked alright but nothing to right home about. Took it back the following day. The manager at circuit city was in a state of shock. Are you crazy these things are on backorder how did you get this? There are people on waiting lists for this unit. Well here it is I don't like it give me my money back.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
amunro: It takes days to set it up correctly. And you must have a good, clean signal going to the display. There is nothing any better (anywhere near its' price). Of course, that is opinion. But, when so many people think the same way, it becomes somewhat more than opinion. It borders on..fact. Hope you find what you are seeking.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Your probably right. After reading so many glowing reviews about this unit and a lot of them saying it looked great right out of the box I was a little let down by the picture. I did mess with it for a good 3 hours trying to get the picture dialed in. I own a sharp LCD TV which throws out a very different looking picture,maybe thats what I was expecting. I was impressed with HD that looked great. I think what bothered me most about the picture was my satellite feed which looked terrible on it. I think I already own what I'm seeking and should just be content for once in my life.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Jones
The Panasonic consumer plasmas may be getting in short support since the current models will be replaced within the next few months with new models that feature the 7th generation display panels (as already being shipped in the new commercial models) and improved signal processing. The factory production of the current consumer models (6th generation) may have already stopped for the switch over to production of the replacement 7th gen. models.

Ron Jones
The current consumer model was announced in Jan of this year and released in May. I don't think you'll see the new 7th gen. model on these shores for at least 6 months.

They usually announce new replacements months before release date and the fact that they haven't tells me that you'll have a bit of a wait...

I think the current shortage was because Panasonic got caught with their pants down after their recent price reduction and underestimated the demand at the $2XXX price point for these babies. After all, remember how many people including myself who have been hanging around this forum waiting to pull the trigger on a plasma just before the reduction? Right after the reduction so many people posted that they purchased because it finally hit their price sweet spot that the supply wasn't meeting the demand. As of friday CDW had 30 people on order waiting for this particular model. I'm number 2 on that list and I've been waiting for a month now.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Out of curiosity today I looked at my local Circuit City's inventory and they had one available. I could of bought it and picked up today if I wanted to. I just remembered that was on the 37" not the 42". I guess the 42" is in much more demand than the 37". Been there done that don't want to do it again. Circuit City has a great deal going on right now with 0% financing for 2 years.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by ckgrick
Received mine yesterday from ABT Electronics in Chicago. Took two weeks exactly from ship date. They didn't say anything about a shortage.

You must have bought the last set because they're out of stock!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well, it appears I had some dumb luck in getting my unit. I had researched and researched my selection options to death based on my youthful suffering as an early adopter. It would have been painful to wait after finally making up my mind.

Based on my few days of use, this unit has met all the rave reviews. The accompanying minimalist manual is the only negative so far. It does take some tweaking as out of the box as it’s typically set for a showroom. The signal coming in certainly makes a difference, but my E* SD picture looks as good or better than the 26†CRT it replaced. The 480P DVD component signal is superb. The blacks are outstanding. Can hardly wait for the feed from a HD receiver.

This unit is worth waiting for. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.