Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have the panny TH-42PX500U and a slim playstation 2 (PS2). Any game I play has 1/2 inch black bars on the side, even when I change the aspect ratio on the tv from FULL/JUST/ZOOM/4:3. Has anyone has had this issue? My PS2 is hooked up via component video cables.

Thanks,

Andrew

·
Registered
341 Posts
The guys in the UK are moaning about this too, consoles tend to have zero overscan so you need to adjust the horizontal size to accomadate it, however the UK models do not have a H or V size adjustment so they are buggered, not sure on the US model?

·
Registered
19,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizlaroc
The guys in the UK are moaning about this too, consoles tend to have zero overscan so you need to adjust the horizontal size to accomadate it, however the UK models do not have a H or V size adjustment so they are buggered, not sure on the US model?
I think you have it backwards. If the console was pushing out @ 0% overscan, he would have his entire screen filled and also have parts of it cut off as the average overscan on the Panny is 2.5%. I have also seen black bars at the top and bottom of PS2 games. If zoom does not get rid of it, there is really nothing that can be done. Remember only games created in 1:78/1:85 format will natively fill the entire screen in full mode.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ahh, thanks for the information. This is a little annoying and it makes me ofcourse, worry about burn in.

Andrew

·
Registered
282 Posts
So all video games are like this on a plasma. I have an XBOX and one reason I am looking into getting a 42" 500U is for gaming. Can anyone tell me what is up with this. Thanks :)!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I just tested my Xbox, and unbelivably it is having the same issue. Can anyone else with this tv who plays video games share their experience?

**UPDATE/EDIT: It actually appears that it depends on the game (at least on the Xbox). For example, Halo 2 and MXvs ATV Unleashed both fill the whole screen, but Unreal Championship 2 and Burnout 3 leave the 1/2 inch black bars on the side. Any thoughts on why this would happen?

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
Usually it's the 720p games that are displayed like that. The other games usually will fill automatically or atleast have width and height adjustments in the options so you can manually correct it. Not sure about PS2; I gave mine away long ago. POS2 IMO. ;)

·
Registered
282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsb
Usually it's the 720p games that are displayed like that. The other games usually will fill automatically or atleast have width and height adjustments in the options so you can manually correct it. Not sure about PS2; I gave mine away long ago. POS2 IMO. ;)
So the 720p games are causing the problems? Isnt that suppost to be the better setting than 480p? I am a newbie so i dont know any better.

·
Registered
183 Posts
The problem is that some of the games you're playing support 16:9 widescreen (enabled by the developers when making the game) and some don't.

This problem is solved for next gen since all games will run in 720p 16:9 by default. Those will fit the screen perfectly.

I have Freedom Fighters for Xbox (a 720p game) and it fits the screen of my Panasonic PX50U plasma perfectly. Halo2 is widescreen and also fits my screen like a glove, so even though it's only 480p, it's designed with 16:9 TVs in mind. Don't forget you also have to enable widescreen on the Xbox dashboard.

Some games this gen simply don't have the feature, and the only thing you can do is stretch them, or play with bars.

As I said, fortunately this format inconsistency is a moot point for the 360 and PS3..... :cool:

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
Actually not every game for PS3 has to be HD and 16:9 AFAIK. It's up to the developers. I'm sure a big majority will be though. The Revolution will only be 480p I think as well.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Thanks for the reply guys. I am into sports games so hopefully I can play some current titles like NHL and NBA 2K6, Madden etc before Nov.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.