AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, looks like I'm the first here to get the new panny 50 6uy. Just came in today (on my birthday to boot!! :)

Anyway, ordered from Lisa at PlasmaExtreme. Service couldn't be better! I'm a first time plasma owner so take a bunch of what I say with a grain of salt....

My current configuration is a Denon 1600 running component into the 6uy with my Qwest Choice TV VDSL cable service running through SVideo. I also hooked up my Gamecube for a little bit via the composite input but I need to figure out a better solution to that. More on that later.

I've only managed to watch 2 episodes of 24 and one of Alias on the 1600 so far. My current settings are:

Picture: -15

Brightness: 0

Color: 0

Tint: 0

Sharpness: -5

Also, I've enabled the advanced settings and set gamma to "S-curve", left the rest to default. This seemed to look better at first glance. If someone knows that the "s-curve" setting for gamma is, please let me know!

I went through the basic video config on Avia, the color/tint/brightness controls were spot on out of the box. I couldn't really tell too much of a difference with the test patterns when playing with the picture controls, other than it gets noticable brighter with live TV. -15 still looks good, and I figured it was "safe," so I went with that.

Initial impressions:

The OSD menus are Razor Sharp! I mean WOW!. The same is true for the DVD menus and most text displayed via DVD. I notice a lot more graininess than I used to from my old TV when watching Alias & 24. My old TV was a 5 year old Sony 32' Trinitron NON Wega, NON XBR, crt. I'm assuming that the extra sharpness of a plasma is showing the compression artifacts of MPEG2 that were not visible on an aging CRT.

Cable TV via S-Video is VERY, VERY, good. I mean comparable in quality to the two DVDs I mentioned. Actually better in many cases because of the lack of graininess. The caveat here is that I get the sneaky suspicion that my digital cable on VDSL is not very highly compressed at all. When I go to my friends house who has cox digitial cable you see compression artifacts all over the place and it generally looks like crap.

The gamecube via composite looked like trash. Significant pixelation all over the place. The old Sony definately did a better job here. Perhaps progressive scan mode will clean things up a bit here.

Just like the 426UY, you can NOT use composite and SVideo at the same time on the same blade. In fact, it appears that the set is set up to only accept ONE input per slot, PERIOD. There is a VGA connector that is in ADDITION to the three "blade" slots.

Black Levels:

Honestly, I was expecting a bit more contrast considering the rave reviews most people put here about the pannys. Are the blacks darker than what I see in most B&M store plasmas? Yes, are they darker than the blacks on my old Sony? Not really. I'd say pretty comparable. Not mind blowing awesome, more like perfectly acceptable, if you know what I mean.

Anyway, I think I'm going to bed before I write a book here. I currently need to find myself a decent SVideo switch to feed the display since my receiver is a complete piece of garbage. Anyone have any suggestions? I think I need a 3-1 switch at a minimum. A component input switch would be cool too. I don't really want to swap cables around every time I fire up my XBOX. I plan on trying that out by the weekend.......

BTW: I've found that Avia is almost completely useless to set up the 6UY. Other than the "Torch Mode" picture setting, it seems pretty well dialed in stock. Anyone have any ideas what all the advanced picture settings do?

I'd be happy to answer any questions/try anything out for the curious.

-Adrian

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Thank you Adrian for writing a fairly detailed rundown on the day that you received your plasma! What dedication to the cause :)

With respect to the black level. No plasma is going to beat a direct view CRT on black levels. High black levels were the achilles heel of plasma technology in the early years and overcoming this (and poor gray scale) was the holy grail if plasma were to be taken seriously by HT buffs. Panasonic managed to almost lick this problem with the series 3 models and others have yet to catch up. This never meant that the panny plasmas had direct view CRT beat but that they had become perfectly acceptable as you say.

What are you using for audio? If you have a receiver that does not do component and s-video switching then I would recommend an upgrade to one that does and has high enough bandwidth to handle 480p and HD.

Looking forward to more observations!

·
Registered
97 Posts
It looks like we are all getting our shipments this week :).

My 50" 6UY got in around mid-day yesterday, but I did not get a chance to set it up until the evening. That darn work thing sure gets in the way of plasma fun. But, hey, no work no plasma so I ain't complaining :).

First and foremost, thanks Lisa! Trout Lady, your service was excellent.

Setup comments:

Panasonic started the double box packaging of their plasmas a couple of years ago and I am glad they have continued that. Though the exterior box showed travel-wear (not excessive at all), the interior box was pristine. By the way, it was funny to see all the flight stickers and other travel information on the box. First stop was Seattle directly from Japan via JAL. It was then processed by the distributor and flew out to the east coast. Lastly, it was sent in a truck to my house. My only question... Can I get the miles?

After unboxing, the first thing I noticed was the power cable. That baby is thick. It is noticeably thicker than the cable I have seen for other plasmas. I was expecting a cable about the same size as those found on a higher end Intel based computer, but this one was wider and the same size as the one used by my power conditioner. I am guessing that there is a need to carry a higher than usual load and that there is more shielding on the cable. The manual doesn't state the wattage consumption, but I am going to guess that it is quite a bit higher than the ED versions of this unit which is rated at 375W. In either case, I would recommend that folks use a power/line conditioner as part of their setup for this unit. Lastly, there was a neat little plastic power cord locking system to hold the power plug in place when attached to the unit.

The second thing I thought was really cool was the manufacturing date of September 2003. This unit is "hot off the presses." A great everyday example of globalization.

All the video and audio connections are standard Panasonic plasma and face down behind the bottom of the unit. A quick recommendation for those thinking about hanging this unit. Wait to mount until after installing any "blades." Pretty cramped back there to try and fit it into the slot when the unit is already on the wall.

Another nice touch was that this unit now allows for a naming of the inputs. So instead of just seeing "Input1", "Input2" and "PC" one can replace this with a list of names like DVD, STB, etc. I don't recall this as a feature in the 5UYs so I thought this to be a positive change.

Up and running comments:

I would have to agree with Adrian's comments on the text quality. It is SHARP. Both the OSD and words shown within a movie is very readable. This could be because of the resolution or some internal electronics. I plan to plug a computer into the unit before the end of the week to really examine this area further.

I let the unit warm up on the Avia 40 minute presentation before touching any of settings. I notice that it looked pretty fair so the Panasonic out of box experience is very good. However, after about 20 minutes I was ready to tweak.

My DVD player is a Panasonic RP82 so these comments are specific to my setup and may not apply to everyone. Going thought the basic tuning process in Avia yielded a picture that I found to be a little "flat." Though the picture setting (contrast) was now much more dialed down, the blacks (brightness) looked a little too bright and caused the picture to be less 3-dimensional than my usual preference. Also, the color was not as vibrant as I would have liked. So in comes the Steaming Rat tuning methods. I need some more time to play with this, but did get the picture to a better representation of my reality (note, I did not say "real," because now we are talking personal perceptions). Basically, some judgemental tweaking of brightness and color saturation got me to a more reasonable setting (again, for me).

Last note on settings... I have detailed experience with a JVC plasma as well as time with a Pioneer plasma and I still have to say that I am very impressed by the black levels possible with this Panasonic unit and how nicely small the setting steps are. It really allows for more precise tuning.

Now that the DVD side was done, I switched to the broadcast side. I use a Samsung TS160 to receive my DirecTV signal and have hooked this unit up via the D15 analog connector (no DVI blade as of yet). The TS160 is set to output at 720p. It is the closest setting to the pixel count of the Panasonic and reduces the amount of electronic juggling of the signal. At some point, I will try the 1080i setting to compare the two. One annoying note on this Panasonic. Aspect changes are not possible with the D15 so I was stuck on "full" mode for my broadcast viewing. I would have preferred the "just" setting for certain 4:3 material so egg on the face for whoever in Panasonic who made this decision. Anyway, standard 4:3 material was quite watchable even at a distance of 6 feet away from the screen. I would probably suggest at least an 8 foot viewing distance to minimize the blockiness from the broadcast. HD via HDNet and DiscoveryHD was mind blowing. The best way to summarize this is from my wife who took a look and said, "I don't think it looks this good when you are actually there." Now this is before I tuned the picture.

Bottom line:

I am one happy guy. I have Saturday planned for a few house projects and to sit down for some more tuning of the Panasonic. Sunday is football in HD on this screen. Now call me simple, but life doesn't get much better than this.

Eric.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I am so Jealous.......I have to wait until Monday for my delivery.......................thank you for making my wait even more gut wrenching!!!

Enjoy!! :D

·
Registered
15,371 Posts
To paraphrase Python:

You l'ueey b*stards. You l'ueey, l'ueey b*stards!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I got my yesterday afternoon as well. Thank you lisa.

I've not had a chance to calibrate, as Avia is on its way. I did a little calibration by eye on a DVD or two, and I think it looks very good right out of the box. Just turned down brightness a little bit.

I already posted my findings under another thread on the 50 6UY, but I'll re-iterate the previous posters. This thing looks great.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
OK Folks, this is going to confuse people.

Did you receive the TH-50PHW6UY or was it really a TH-50PHD6UY???

AKAIK, the US was not going to offer the PHW6 model, but Europe will have it in silver besel.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
GAK! Sorry guys, that was a typo on my part. We're all talking about the TH-50PHD6UY here. Do I have the ability to modify the thread's subject after the fact on this board since I was the topic starter?

Anyway, Divvy: My receiver is a Yamaha V-R1105 that I bought at the same time I bought my old Sony. It lets you switch something like 4 composite video inputs, but only has 1! SVideo in/out combo for OSD stuff that I never use. Even worse, it won't switch any composite input over to the svideo out. Worthless.

I am looking for a receiver that's

Regarding the naming of the various inputs. You can't just punch in whatever you want. It's more like there are several prefixes that you can choose from that is blade-specific. I.e, the component can be named things like "CATV2", "DVD2", "STB2" etc, because that specific blade is in slot 2.

Another thing to note, I have 0 Dead/stuck pixels at all. I spent almost 10 minutes scanning the display with a white avia screen and couldn't find any. The unit also come with 3 ferrite beads that I'm not sure what you're supposed to use them on.

Looks like I'll have to do a search for this steaming rat method....

-Adrian

·
Registered
958 Posts
denon 3803 hands down, 1 single component connection to the monitor.

All devices tivo, dvd, ... connect to it and it upconverts their video to component. Its all black and it internet people are in the low $800 maybe less now and a local B&M advertised it recently for $999 down from the $1199 MSRP.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I was just wondering what the standard blade configuration is? What inputs and if any of the proud new owners have ordered any specific add-on blades?

Brett

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
standard blade configuration is Slot 1 empty, Slot 2 with a SVideo/composite shared input, Slot 3 with an RGB/Component shared input. There's also a PC VGA connector in addition to the three slots.

-Adrian

·
Registered
40 Posts
This is sounding like a real winner! (and, have tentative wife go-ahead for the "Plasma Project", wahoo!)

I'm particularly encouraged that plain vanilla S-Video looks good. It's my biggest fear in the leap to plasma, since "normal" TV viewing will come through the DTivo and it needs to be good enough, at least until HD/Tivo.

Has anyone tried a DirecTV/Tivo combo box?

Also, can the fixed VGA input be configured as a second component input? (The Fujitsu 50" seems to be able to do this).

Thanks!

/Mitch.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by avacaliuc
standard blade configuration is Slot 1 empty, Slot 2 with a SVideo/composite shared input, Slot 3 with an RGB/Component shared input. There's also a PC VGA connector in addition to the three slots.

-Adrian
To clarify, the unit COMES WITH these blades? If so, are they RCA or BNC? I was under the impression it came with no blades installed at all and one had to purchase those separately.

-Lance

·
Registered
958 Posts
For those of you with the new models, How do the monitors handle fast motion sports type video? How does it compare with the Fujitsu:

1) Still not as sharp

2) Equivalent

3) They have jumped ahead

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
Congrats guys on your new Panny Plasmas.

Two issues from the past that we would like to know:

1. Any Buzzing or Humming?

2. How many Fans and at what distance are they noticeable?

Thanks.

Dave

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Lance-

In the above PDF, on the seventh page of that PDF (pg. 12 printed) lists the 'standard board' input & shows a photo. It is 2-slots wide. BNC connections on composite in/out and component. Same as before.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I don't hear any humming or buzzing from 6ft. It is definitely quieter than my ReplayTV's hard drive spinning, which is quiet anyway.

As for the receiver, I have a 3803 and the upconvert is nice. The only problem is lack of component in's, only 2. Once the DVI blade is available that won't be a problem, but DVI in's will be. :)

I've had a chance to do the Avia calibration, and I got similar numbers.

Sports look good on it. I haven't watched much football, but the baseball playoffs look good. I don't know if you consider baseball to be a "fast action" sport, but it looks good and I've only got an analog cable hooked up.

In other words, still very happy.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.