Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Just bought this plasma recently and want to replace my current DVD player(panny rv32) with something newer and better. I use the DVI input on the plasma for my STB so I will be using the DVD player via component. Any recommendations?? I'm willing to spend up to $750. Thanks alot.

Boist

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just got a Panny 42pwd6uy last week, and went with a Denon 2200 for DVD. I've only had it a few days, but the picture is wonderful through component video. List price on this is $629, and it also plays dvd-audio & SACD.

...Ken

·
Registered
698 Posts
I have a denon too.Its the Denon 1600.Its the same player as the highly coveted Panasonic RP-82.It puts out an incredible 3d picture via component cables.It can be had for around $500.The only thing to watch out for with denon is you have to buy from an authorized dealer or the warranty is null and void. Congrats on your new panny!!!!BM

·
Registered
333 Posts
You will want a DVD player with

- DVI Port with HPCP

- Faroudja deinterlacer Chip

- scaling to 1080i or 720p

No DVD player does all of this yet. Denon 5900 is out soon for $2000 that will. DVI is disabled and can be enabled once the standard is approved using a CD-ROM. See crutchfield.com

Denon 1600 has the Faroudja Chip and is being replaced, harder to find.

Samsung 931 is cheap and does DVI and scaling to 1080i/720p. The picture via component doesn't do 1080i/720p and isn't as good as via the DVI. DVI is NOT HPCP. You may want to buy this player take it home. If you are happy keep it, if not return it. DVD players are like potatoes.

Heck a DVI cable will cost $100.

Wait and you may find this combo in a new DVD player this fall for under $1000-500.

Think about getting a DVI DVD player. You can swap connectors depending on your source STB or DVD.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I have the same Tv and was going to go with Bravo D1 until I read about all of the problems with it.

Explain to me why I need a DVD player with HDCP output via DVI. I am lost on this.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Stealthfighter
Heck a DVI cable will cost $100.
not true at all. DVI cables don't need to be "Monster" quality. There is no quality difference. You can get them for very cheap. Do some searches for threads on this board, for more information.

I got a 5 meter for like $30

check places like http://www.pacificcable.com/DVI.htm or computer stores.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I was planning on getting a progressive DVD player for our TH42PA20, but I've decided to just keep using our non-progressive player because the Panasonic does such a good job from that source. Based on what I've read, it doesn't sound to me like an inexpensive progressive player will do any better job than what the Panasonic is doing. I expect that the big names will come out with reasonably priced DVI players within the next year so I'll just wait for that instead of buying something now and then getting another player a year down the road.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Another option would be to partner one of the $200-$250 DVI enabled dvd players with a $250 DVI switch. This solution is in the middle pricewise with the previous suggestions.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i'm intrigued with this idea. where are the switches sold and are they good quality?? that seems like alot, but i think it may be a solution i like. thanks.

boist

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.