AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this site and am amazed at the knowledge base here. I now consider myself to know nothing about Plasma and HT systems. That said, I have a few questions I hope do not make me out to look like a fool.

1. I bought the 5uy 6 months ago without the DVI card. It looks like it sells for around $400.00 now. Is it worth it? Please explain what it does. What else would I need to take advantage of this.

2. I have just been informed about video processors/scaler/de-interlacers. This looks like it takes HT to a new level with my only problem of limited money to contend with. My system can only be as strong as my weakest link. Can my PQ benefit from one of these? If so which one is not overkill for the display I have.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
1. It enables you to use a DVI input, but it is not HDCP compliant. Also disables the component input. All in all, probably not something you'd need. Unless you're really jonesing to get DVI, don't worry about it.

2. There are plenty of video processors and scalers around, but the Panny just happens to have an incredible one to begin with. While you might get some improvement (and that's debatable), I'd say odds are pretty certain that you wouldn't get enough to justify the cost of a scaler good enough to make a difference. Basically, you'd be putting the signal through a nice scaler, then passing it to the Panny whose nice scaler will now ignore it. Overkill.

Bottom line. You're good on display for a while (DVI being a debatable topic, but in the case of the 5 series, not worth the effort IMHO). If anything upgrade the other parts of the system, depending on what you have for the other components.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I believe the slot on the 6UY will accept a DVI/HDCP card. Don't know about the 5UY though. The only reason I want to get that card for my 6UY is in anticipation of the HD Tivo.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.