AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read most of the posts on the Panny TU-HDS20 STB.

1. Does the software download correct the slow response problem? I don't plan on subscribing to DirecTV for a while yet so how can I get the software update (without activating the card)?

2. Do the new versions have quieter fans? The unit will be in an entertainment Center.

3. What aspect control does this box provide for 4 x 3 TVs when viewing 16 x 9 content (I have a Panny CT-32HX41 TV)?

Thanks

------------------

Tom Taylor

·
Registered
464 Posts
1. Yes, the guide speed is substantially improved, except filtering (ie sports) is still painfully slow.

2. I have no issue with fan noise whatsoever, had a Sony, now the Sony fan is loud.

3. There is an aspect ratio button on the remote that makes for easy, fast changing of aspect ratio. Options are as follows in regard to aspect...

a) 16x9 with iether grey bars or black.

b) "Fill" see entire picture but pict is slightly distorted

c) cropped, you lose a bit on left & right but ratios are correct

Keep in mind that the Panny offers the best upconversion of any STB currently available. (Once again blows away the Sony, and the Sony locks into 16x9 TV setting with a HD signal)

Hope this helps.

------------------

TN55x81-TUHDS20-AVR210-SD6200 Down...DTC-100, TSL3295HF, VSX-D710, AD-800

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
nnci,

Have you had any reception problems with the HDS20 and WBNSDT-21? I had major lip synch with the Sony and audio dropouts on the Toshiba. I used the Panny for about a week in March but I didn't watch much on channel 21 and I can't remember if it had problems also.

What would you rate the current guide speed to? That was one of the main reasons why I returned it.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Taylor:
I've read most of the posts on the Panny TU-HDS20 STB.

1. Does the software download correct the slow response problem? I don't plan on subscribing to DirecTV for a while yet so how can I get the software update (without activating the card)?
You don't need to activate the card or subscribe to DirecTV to get the update, you just need a dish pointing at the 101 satellite.

Tony

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for responses guys(?).

------------------

Tom Taylor

·
Registered
464 Posts
GScott,

I have few dropouts with WBNS, usually during weather. It does work better then the DTC-100. I attribute most of it to having a lousy TERK-50 mounted under the eaves below our second floor. (Our second floor is wider than our ground floor) I haven't been successful at having Sat. Video from Lewis Center, who installed the dish, to come back and finish their job. When they do come back I can have the ant put near the top of the house. There are 2 story houses immediately behind us, and huge trees. If you call Satellite Video Products(Owner Paul is a nice guy) to install your dish, make sure they don't charge you for a trainee. They are scheduled to come Monday next week. (3rd Try)

In terms of guide speed, the Panny isn't as fast as the DTC, but a whole lot faster than it was, probably a little faster than Sony, although the Sony was several months ago. Also, on Monday this week my guide changed! Wbns was shown as a local at 21-1 with no programming info, on Monday DTV updated it to show 10-1, WBNSDT! It now shows the programs on WBNS DTV! No more going to the Net to look up the programs! It appears to be accurate also, as WBNSDT broadcasts different programs some evenings.

Hope this helps!

------------------

TN55x81-TUHDS20-AVR210-SD6200 Down...DTC-100, TSL3295HF, VSX-D710, AD-800

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.