AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a collector of old (1930s through 1950s) films I have occasion to transfer VHS pre-recorded and other collector's tapes to DVD with my EH55. I have an older but well-functioning Panny VCR that I've used for this purpose. The Panny VCR's outputs are composite only so transfers of color tapes tend to be bland, lacking in much color punch, even with good pre-recorded tapes made from 3-strip Technicolor masters. I've looked on Panny's website and it appears that at least one of the currentDVD/VCR recorder combinations have S-video outputs. I'm sure that if I had a VCR (preferably Panny) with S-video outputs, my image quality would improve enormously with color films. I could purchase one of these new DVD/VCR recorders, but they are pretty pricey for my limited application (I use my BluRay player to output my DVDs, both new and transfered) to my Panny plasma display and I'm quite surprised and gratified at the remarkable quality of upscaling (upconverting?) of my transfers of old films generally. My question: have any of the last-manufactured (non-DVD) Panny VCRs featured S-video outputs or is this a more recent configuration? I'd like to identify such VCRs, if any, for some Craig's List and EBay searches.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mohundro /forum/post/16959241

As a collector of old (1930s through 1950s) films I have occasion to transfer VHS pre-recorded and other collector's tapes to DVD with my EH55. I have an older but well-functioning Panny VCR that I've used for this purpose . . .

I've looked on Panny's website and it appears that at least one of the currentDVD/VCR recorder combinations have S-video outputs. I'm sure that if I had a VCR (preferably Panny) with S-video outputs, my image quality would improve enormously with color films. I could purchase one of these new DVD/VCR recorders, but they are pretty pricey for my limited application . . .

Rather than purchasing a new Panasonic EZ series combo recorder it would be better to connect a VCR to an input on your DMR-EH55, transfer the material to hard drive, edit the material if you like and then dub to DVD.

Avoid the bug-laden Panasonic EZ series combo recorders:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post16769918

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DigaDo,

Actually, that's what I have been doing for many years, first with a Panny EH80, lately with the EH55. It's just that I want to come up with a VCR with an S-video output which should provide an upgraded video signal to my Panny EH55. I would continue to edit on my 55's hard drive as I have all along. My thoughts about one of the Panny combos was only in terms of using the player side of the VHS component; I'd neither record on VHS nor use the DVD recorder component. I just thought purchasing one of the combos was a fairly expensive answer to a problem I experience occasionally, but not often (black-and-white films played back on VHS and copied to the EH55 HD seem to work well enough).

·
Registered
14 Posts
sorry to ask a question within original question, but to get better quality should s-video be used to transfer vhs>hdd instead of just using composite to transfer to hdd and using s-video when viewing completed dvd?

·
Registered
11,642 Posts
Jim, any SVHS VCR will have a S-video output but truthfully unless the video was actually recorded in SVHS format I doubt you'll see much of a difference. IMO the VHS format is the limiting factor in VHS to DVD transfers. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big supporter of S-video particularly for feeding a DVDR from a DVD player or downconverted HD from a STB, it's just VHS doesn't utilize the extra bandwidth provided by S-video.

Towards the end of my VHS days I bought a Sony S-VHS VCR, truthfully I got better(or the same) quality dubs from using a composite VCR(to feed my DVDR) as my Sony SVHS VCR.

I'm not to much up on Panny combo players but I do know that all the Panny combos I've used allow the VCR signal to be outputted to the S-video connector. You need to be monitoring the DVD side and then select the DC input which will put the VHS info out of the S-video(and composite) connectors.

I've never seen a regular VHS VCR with S-video outputs though.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Please do not get mislead. The reason you saw an S-Video out on the VCR/DVD recorder is because S-Video out is only for the DVD video out. The entertainment industry decided years ago not to have S-Video out on VCRs cause they would make a better picture when copied and since they don't want users to copy anything...well, just eliminate the better picture quality of S-Video.

If you look at the manual of these units, you will see the S-Video listed as only for DVD output.

Now I am transferring tapes to DVD using my Toshiba 670 VCR/DVD and using the composite outs and the picture on my 32" LCD TV is extremely good. I figure that is because the tapes are recorded at the best quality speed. Whereas if I copy a tape I taped from TV at a lower quality speed, the picture quality of the DVD is the same as the tape.

That said, I do have 2 Phillips VCRs and they are the only ones I have ever seen with S-Video out (and S-Video in is also there).

I got them late 2000 or early 2001.

I currently have 2 other VCR/DVD combos with S-Video out only for DVD and 2 VCRs that do not have S-Video out.

So before you spend any money for the S-Video out capability, look at the manual (sometimes the back of the unit actual says DVD by itself) but the manual rear panel description will say it all. If you ever find a VCR and/or a combo VCR/DVD that allows the S-Video signal to go out for the VCR, that would be a topic of interest here, I am sure. I might buy one of those myself but I don't think they can be found.

I am only talking about VCR/DVD combos and regular VHS VCRs.

·
Registered
336 Posts
With Pannasonic DVD recorders having circuitry that cleans up the output from a VCR only when composite is used, you will probably get better results using composite than s-video for VHS transfers.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Microlady has a good point: "The entertainment industry decided years ago not to have S-Video out on VCRs cause they would make a better picture when copied and since they don't want users to copy anything...well, just eliminate the better picture quality of S-Video."

The real deal with the 'industry' is that the paranoid (greedy) companies hardly released anything on S-VHS tape, (Laser disc not withstanding). There may have been a rare exception, but S-VHS movies never made it into the mass public. The s-video standard did get included on better equipment. Later the dvd players had s-video out that you could hook up a S-VHS deck's s-video input to. Tho macrovision protection on the disk would screw up any basic copying by the mass public.

Just a note: S-VHS is the tape format, and s-video is the video cable format. s-video is Seperate-video, it basically allows a finer, more lines of rez and helps to avoid artifacts from text on the old TVs that composite gives.

I actually saw that specific pana combo player and smirked, rolled my eyes
and knew it was only on the dvdr side that had the s-video connection.

The same thing is pretty much paralleled today with the SDI video format. Its really nice to work with, and no copy protection to boot, but its too good for the mass public to have, so they get hdmi (let them eat cake). Its the way the 'industry' has managed so far to stay greedy. SDI is used on professional 'industry' equipment. Some videophiles have SDI, just like back in the day they had s-video. Just don't hold your breath that SDI will be on the new DVDR/HDD in consumer stores. Tho some are modding dvd players, even blu-ray for SDI, a DVDR/HDD w/SDI would be very nice to have. Maybe they have it, or are working on that mod for like the mag 2160s.

I am curious how the firewire is handled on the mag 2160s.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the good info on the S-video output. I'm getting good S-video transfer from my Motorola DVR's S-video output to my Panny EH55's S-video input, but I'll probably have to live with the attenuated color output of my Panny VCRs when I'm copying a VHS tape to my hard drive.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
I've been using SVHS VCRs since the late 80s. Standard VHS tapes definitely look better when played back on a SVHS VCR, with S-Vid out to the display. I make my SVHS and VHS transfers using a Philips SVHS VCR, and its S-Vid out. Most people agree they look pretty darned good, considering the source. They are definitely better than recording from the same player's composite out. My DVDR is a Pio 640.

But, as Jmas said, some DVDRs may have better filtering on the composite input, so some people like to use composite out from the VCR, and claim a better picture.

I recommend you get a Mitsu, or Philips SVHS VCR, and try recording from both outputs, to see which works best with your DVDR. Either way, you'll probably get a better picture from the better VCR.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Jim: Since you mentioned Craig's List and Ebay and wanted to look for old VCRs with S-Video output. Maybe others know of some models to check for.

I can tell you that my Phillips VCR VR960BPH does have S-Video In and Out. It plays fine. The recorder won't record on any tapes anymore but I keep it due to the S-Video In and Out. If you can find one and the recorder works, it does record the S-VHS tapes as well as standard VHS.

I bought mine in early 2001 but with garage sales, thrift stores, pawn shops, or as you said Craig's list, ebay...just maybe you can find a VCR with the S-Video out capability. Since you really only want the Play feature, maybe you can find one that someone wants to sell.

Maybe others here know of other models that have the feature. I don't know the year S-Video was dropped from VCRs cause from 2001 I next bought in 2006 and by then S-Video output was gone from VCRs that I saw.

Maybe try Google of S-Video output VCR ..as keywords and see what happens. Worth a try, maybe?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.