AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, its another of "those" threads. We are looking into a 50 inch plasma screen, and we have been looking into the best for the money.

Initially, material viewed will be DVD's, OTA HD and SD over an antenna(considering getting cable/satellite in the near future.)

The Panny 50PX50U looks good but I am bothered by what I can only describe as a "Painting" look it gives to people. This was especially apparent when Harry potter was playing on the TV's. The peoples faces(at a distance more than close) appear to not have smooth gradients between the skin tones. Resulting in an animated or "painted" appearance. Anybody else notice this or know what causes that affect?

I have heard lots of praise for the Pio 5050 for its colors, so we are considering that but I am curious about the new Samsung HPR-5052. Does anyone know how these compare to the current panny's or Pio's?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have also been agonizing between the 50" Panny 500U and the Pio 1130/5060. I agree with your assessment of the "Painting" effect on the Panasonic. I keep trying to talk myself into it...but, I'm leaning toward spending the extra on the Pioneer. I did have someone suggest the Samsung 5052...so I'm very interested in any opinions on the PQ. I've been reading about the new SED technology from Canon/Toshiba and it's peaked my interest. I can see myself wanting a new set in three years and if I can find an acceptable picture on a relatively inexpensive plasma...I'd be a happy man!

·
Registered
117 Posts
The "painted" face look you are seeing could be the dreaded "clay-face". do you know what that is? typically seen alot on the 42" samsungs and not the pios or pannys. usually seen on SD content. although i've seen it with SD on my panny. if the input signal is good, you usually can eliminate it with adjustments.

since you dont like the panny, i would go with the pioneer...then the panny and then samsung.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdiver2489
The Panny 50PX50U looks good but I am bothered by what I can only describe as a "Painting" look it gives to people. This was especially apparent when Harry potter was playing on the TV's. The peoples faces(at a distance more than close) appear to not have smooth gradients between the skin tones. Resulting in an animated or "painted" appearance. Anybody else notice this or know what causes that affect?
The effect is called 'clay face' and it bothered me when I saw it in three different stores on the 50" Panasonic plasma I had been wanting. The problem is the stores usually have the TV in Vivid mode with the sharpness at the default setting for that mode (+17) which is WAY TOO HIGH!!! The picture looks good like this from a great distance (over 20') but even at 10' - 15' the problem is apparent. Some people claim the contrast (Picture) control can cause this but on these sets it's the sharpness. Fortunately it's easy to see for yourself, just note what mode the TV is in and set the sharpness within the range specified for that mode:

Vivid: -15 to -20

Standard: 0 to +5

Cinema: +5 to +10

The figures listed above are the results I got using a DVE calibration DVD. Anything in those ranges should get you close enough to the proper setting to eliminate the problem.

Good luck!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks!

I'm on my way to check out the Sammy. While I'm there I'll look at the Panny again and try your settings for eliminating the Clay Face. It really bothers me...and I'm surprised nobody in BB or Tweeter could fix it! From what I'm reading I think I stick with my original list of the Panny 500 or the Pioneer 5060/1130.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wismile
Thanks!

I'm on my way to check out the Sammy. While I'm there I'll look at the Panny again and try your settings for eliminating the Clay Face. It really bothers me...and I'm surprised nobody in BB or Tweeter could fix it! From what I'm reading I think I stick with my original list of the Panny 500 or the Pioneer 5060/1130.
They just put it in the default vivid mode (which has default sharpness settings for that mode) and leave it at that. I was in Circuit City and changed the Panny 50 inch (which I now own) to standard mode (from vivid).

Literally within about 45 seconds, the Circuit City employees came over and started talking about "why is that one so dark". They then put it back to vivid.

I just watched and laughed to myself.

Don't expect the employees there to fix anything or know anything about tweaking the sets. They just put it in defaults mode and leave them there.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Hi,

I just got the panny 50" 50U ... and I can assure you this pdp is just unbelievable when you get it home ... it is just impossible for this thing to look bad on dvd or hd ... when viewed in NON-vivid modes ... reportted clayface issues don't exist when this pdp is setup right ...

jls.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm back and I wasn't at all impressed by the Samsung. They sold their Panasonic display and their buying group has 239 on back order! They're not expecting them for 3 months. Boy do I hope they're wrong. I would be very interested in hearing opinions about the difference between the Pio 5060/61 and the 1130. I know the 1130 has a 2 yr warranty and a few more preset options...but are the extras worth an extra $700?

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wismile
I'm back and I wasn't at all impressed by the Samsung. They sold their Panasonic display and their buying group has 239 on back order! They're not expecting them for 3 months. Boy do I hope they're wrong. I would be very interested in hearing opinions about the difference between the Pio 5060/61 and the 1130. I know the 1130 has a 2 yr warranty and a few more preset options...but are the extras worth an extra $700?
I've detailed that thoroughly in either the "official" pio xx60 thread or the R. Harkness Pio/Panny thread or both. Search in those threads for my posts to find.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicheyPoor
Say, shouldn't that be YODA's line? ;)
Use the search, Luke. http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/15/15_3_17.gif

Ok, here you go..............

cosmetics, swivel vs. fixed stand, separate day and night callibration modes, much more flexible user adjustments including individual color adjustments, more levels of color balance and noise reduction settings, more video modes, and "Active" DRE with several adjustments (dynamic contrast, black level, automatic contrast limiter, and gamma control), pc card input for photos, 2 yr. vs. 1 yr. warranty, possibly better quality control in the factory.

·
Registered
15,358 Posts
The "clay face" look is from the Panny being in the default "vivid" mode used in all stores. Put it to "standard" (and a tiny dialing of the contrast) and it's not there.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks for the information.

It appears the 1130 is worth the extra cash...at least it looks that way to me.

I have been watching my TV die a slow steady death while I've combed thread after thread trying to find my way through the Plasma Jungle. I would have liked to see the Panny with the "Clay Face" reducing settings, but I can't wait for Panasonic to fill the supply lines. So unless I hear a thundering voice from above telling me not to...I'm gonna see the Tweeter Guy and the BB/Magnolia on Monday...may the best store win! Speaking of which...does anyone have a reccomendation? They are the only two "Pio Elite" options I have around here and if one is clearly better than the other I'd appreciate your input. I have found the posts in this forum extremely helpful and appreciate all your help!

On another subject...I have been reading up on the SED Technology that Canon and Toshiba are working on and I have to say I can't wait to see the results! In fact, it looks so good...it's got me a little scared that I should have waited. Nah...2-3 years is way too long! I'll be ready for another by then.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.