AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a Panny 50" Plasma, was going to get the Panny HDTV receiver, set it to 720p output regardless of input and call it a day. Everyone in San Diego has strongly advised me against the Panny receiver even with its fixes (still way to slow) and go with the Sony...Advice please. SOme others are also strongly recommending the Faroudja NR ijn combination with the SOny and my hairs are sticking up on this one from what I have read on this site as it appears the NR is only going to output 1024x768 into the Panny, which seems pretty silly to me, especially if the input is anamosrphic or 16:9...Am I missing something on this point as well? (I was hoping to save some $$ and just let the Panny receiver do the scaling to 720p for regardless of input)....Thanks

------------------

J. Sollender

·
Registered
780 Posts
The Sony has it's own set of problems and only outputs 1080i or 480i. If what you want is everything at 720p, then the Panasonic would seem the best choice. Its mostly a matter of picking which set of bugs you want to deal with. The picture quality on both is very good.

Tony

·
Premium Member
2,092 Posts
On a side by side comparison the Panny kicked the Sonys ass. I would go with the Panny. Or try a Hughes,Toshiba, Mits box.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I agree with Carbo, I have tried the Mits, Sony, RCA and Panny and I still own the Panny. The picture quality is OUTSTANDING. Isn't that what you buy these things for? The menu/program guide is much faster than before but not instantanious. I suggest you buy one from Crutchfield.com since they have a nice return policy and check one out for yourself.

Panasonic now have a fix for the Noisy fan and video drop out issues (The last two remaining in my book). Since you are buying a new one I suspect you would get one with these fixes already incorporated.

--Rick

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I agree with Carbo, I have tried the Mits, Sony, RCA and Panny and I still own the Panny. The picture quality is OUTSTANDING. Isn't that what you buy these things for? The menu/program guide is much faster than before but not instantanious. I suggest you buy one from Crutchfield.com since they have a nice return policy and check one out for yourself.

Panasonic now have a fix for the Noisy fan and video drop out issues (The last two remaining in my book). Since you are buying a new one I suspect you would get one with these fixes already incorporated.

--Rick

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.