AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a new TV and already tried a Samsung LED/LCD which I do not like. Plasma is for sure the way to go for me and The ST30 looks like an awesome set for the price *but* I found out today I get 40% off direct from Panasonic at work and can get the VT model for only a few hundred more than Amazon has the ST30 for. I have an HTPC setup and basically only use the TV as a monitor. Would I get 96Hz refresh rates all the time with the VT30 or does it quadruple the frames of a 24Hz signal internally? Just trying to decide if it's even worth it since I do all processing on the HTPC anyway. Ideally I would like a stripped down version that has no speakers and only 1 HDMI input for a cheaper price but I can't seem to find anything like that.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've done a lot of reading and it seems 1080p/96 isn't even a valid resolution for HDMI so it looks like the HTPC would be sending a 1080p/24 signal which the TV would then quadruple. Hard to say how much this is needed since I really had no complaints with my old set which was 60p all the time. Now the choice between st/gt/vt seems to be down to bezel.
Is the full sheet glass design worth an extra $1000???

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well, not related to the question but I just pulled the trigger on a 55" vt30. Went to BB to compare how they looked and the VT30 was just sick with the full glass front. Ordered from Panasonic direct and should be here in a week or 2. I'll be sure to post info when I get it.

·
Registered
330 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenByDemons /forum/post/20780770

I've done a lot of reading and it seems 1080p/96 isn't even a valid resolution for HDMI so it looks like the HTPC would be sending a 1080p/24 signal which the TV would then quadruple. Hard to say how much this is needed since I really had no complaints with my old set which was 60p all the time.

Yes, it's the TV that would be displaying each frame of the signal four times, the player just sends 24p. The point is that this will eliminate the judder cause by 3:2 pulldown that is necessary to convert 24 Hz film based material (i.e. most movies) to 60 Hz.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.