AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When using the VGA input on the Panny couples with the 520 does one put the output of the 520 on "native".

tx.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Paul,

I Leave my 520 on 1080i, with the panorama aspect ratio. The Panny aspect ratio is left on full. This way, an HD signal gets passed thru and displayed as it should be, while SD signals are streached to fill the screen (the panorama aspect ratio on the 520 is as good, if not better, than the just mode on the Panny. I can see no advantage in outputting a 720p signal to my panny, even when the broadcast is 720p (which is only 1 network anyway).

Also, if you use the "native" mode to pass thru 480p (Fox) (480i will be converted to 480p) you will lose the ability to fill your screen. Keep in mind that most broadcasts are 480i.

When you say you are using the VGA input, I assume you're talking about the 15 pin RGB/PC connector. This works great and leaves the component input available for a DVD. You do lose the ability to adjust the color or tint when you use this connection, but I've not noticed that to be a problem.

Chucko

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Chucko:

One more question. How are you handling the DVD progressive input to the Panny.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Paul,

Currently I'm feeding a 480i signal from my DVD to the Panny via the component connectors. The Panny does a great job of converting it to progressive (it has 3:2 pulldown). You will find a great deal of discussion on the forum debating the issue of whether the Panny does a better job of converting 480i to progressive than the DVD player. I suspect it probably varies from player to player. Since the Panny will accept either 480i or 480p via the component connections, I'd recommend you simply compare the two options. Your results may differ between "good" recordings and "not so good" recordings.

Chucko

·
Registered
18 Posts
Chucko, I have the same setup, and I wonder how good the RGA/PC connection is relative to the component video. Can you use SD and HD through it? I was thinking about getting the DVI connection, and running the STB receiver through that connection, which would free up the component for DVD. Any thoughts? Thanks - Jay

·
Registered
300 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jkhuskies
Chucko, I have the same setup, and I wonder how good the RGA/PC connection is relative to the component video. Can you use SD and HD through it? I was thinking about getting the DVI connection, and running the STB receiver through that connection, which would free up the component for DVD. Any thoughts? Thanks - Jay
The RGB/PC connection only supports 480p, 720p & 1080i, so the signal is technically HD, although the source is often SD. I just leave my 520 on 1080i. IMO, this connection provides a noticeably better picture than the component connection does, for both HD & SD material.

Chucko

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.