AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a dvd that is region free and the only two that i can find that don't have chroma upsampling error is the Panny xp-30 and the JVC XV SA602SL. any comments on preferences. I am leaning towards the panny as it seems to have better quality components.

The second part relates to 5.1. I have a marantz 5400 receiver with surround setup. the panny doesn't have 5.1 output, although it does have a digital optical out. can i hook up the digital optical out on the panny to my amp and use the amp to decode 5.1 ? i obviously don't want to get a dvd that won't utilize my surround system...

thanks

mark.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Is the xp-30 region free? It will play region 1 and region 3? I have been holding off buying a region 3 dvd for my xp-30.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nah. you have to buy it modified. there are a few places that do it. here are the links that i have found.

check out 110220volts.com or alldual.com

prices on the xp30 are around 250-300 modified.

·
Registered
776 Posts
You can buy an upgrade kit (soldering skills required), or some say there's a service disc to convert to region free. I did mine via hardware, since the supposed disc wasn't well known/available at the time.

www.jvb.nl

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just ordered the JVC XV SA602SL the other day. One of the main reasons I ordered the JVC was the fact that I didn't need a multisystem TV or converter to watch PAL discs.

I believe to view PAL discs on the Panny you need a mulitsystem TV or converter. So, my preference would be the JVC.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.