AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got a quick question that i need help on asap! can panny xr-57's run a pair of speakers at 4 ohms? i know they list at 6 ohms...but has anyone successfully run 4 ohm speakers on it?

secondly, how can i make a 4 ohm speaker into a 6 ohm speaker?....by adding resistors in the speaker wire?

plz help! thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,885 Posts
Try the Panny with the 4 ohm speaker. It will probably work. Speaker impedance varies by frequency and the 4 ohm rating is an average. If it's not a reactive load, then it should be fine with the Panny.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tC_skier /forum/post/0

secondly, how can i make a 4 ohm speaker into a 6 ohm speaker?....by adding resistors in the speaker wire?

No, by using a transformer.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
k im gonna go ahead and grab them then. what is the worst thing that could happen to the receiver? I've heard it could go into "overload" mode and display a message on the screen. But can it like kill the receiver or anything?

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
It can, but it's pretty unlikely. You'd have to crank it and the built in overload protection would have to fail. You can make this even more unlikely by simply making sure to turn up the volume slowly so if any overload occurs, the receiver will have time to react. And this is all if your receiver can't handle the load in the first place. It might not even need to go into overload.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
k good to know. im normally pretty calm so it wont get cranked too much.

ps - what type of transistor would i have to add in the speaker line to boost it to 6 ohms...just out of curiosity.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts