AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Banned
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Panny XR50 has a volume control range of -80db to 0db and a stated power rating of 100W x 6 into 6 ohms. I realize its probably not really able to put out that much power realistically - but lets say for sake of argument that it is. :)

Does that mean that at 0db it is putting out its full power of 100W and that at -40db it is putting out 50W and at -20db it is putting out 75W and at -60db it is putting out 25W?

I notice that increasing the volume from the minimum of -80db doesn't result in anything really hearable until around -50db with more noticeable changes up to my typical listening (for TV and DVDs movies) level of around -30db. (Big open roon & moderate efficiency speakers). If I were to keep going to -25db, -20db and -10db would I experience much more significant increases in volume? What happens at 0db? Does eveything come unglued? :eek:

Is there any danger in running a digital rcvr like the Panny XR-50 at two-thirds (around -25db) or three-fourths (-20db) of its volume control range? At what level is there a high likelihood of damage to the rcvr amps or speakers?

Sorry for any repetition. I raised the subject in a bit different form previously in a different thread I started that got hijacked ;) into a discussion of online resellers, grey-market imports, warranties, religion, etc.

·
Registered
15,396 Posts
Turn it up to your level of comfort. If you don't hear any distortion you're good to go. The amp will probably hit full output prior to 0dB. It's hard to say where exactly though. This is because they are taking very quiet sources into account and giving you more gain that you need in nearly all instances.

Also 10dB is a 10x increase in power (if I'm remembering correctly).

So, if you get full power (100W) at 0dB, -30dB would only be 1 watt.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Sound and Vision Mag measured the output at 82 watts with 5 channels being driven. That is quite impressive. I have the 50 and can attest to the power. Power is not a problem for the Panny.

·
Banned
1,980 Posts
Quote:
So, if you get full power (100W) at 0dB, -30dB would only be 1 watt.
No, If 10dB is 10X, then 20dB is 100X, 30dB is 1000X.

If, for this amp, 0dB is 100W, then at -20dB, the output would be 1 Watt.

·
Registered
15,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tvtech1
No, If 10dB is 10X, then 20dB is 100X, 30dB is 1000X.

If, for this amp, 0dB is 100W, then at -20dB, the output would be 1 Watt.
Bah simple math gone bad... :p

·
Registered
138 Posts
"Is there any danger in running a digital rcvr like the Panny XR-50 at two-thirds (around -25db) or three-fourths (-20db) of its volume control range? At what level is there a high likelihood of damage to the rcvr amps or speakers?"

I have the XR50 and have run it at -12db for a few minutes (maybe 15-20) and -18 or so longer than that, and suffered no ill effects. Everything still runs well.

In other news, does anyone know of any good sites to learn sign language?

·
Banned
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by ionyou
> In other news, does anyone know of any good sites to learn sign language?
:( Oh, no, not another potential thread hijack! Perhaps start a new thread on that subject? :)

·
Banned
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
"Is there any danger in running a digital rcvr like the Panny XR-50 at two-thirds (around -25db) or three-fourths (-20db) of its volume control range? At what level is there a high likelihood of damage to the rcvr amps or speakers?"

I have the XR50 and have run it at -12db for a few minutes (maybe 15-20) and -18 or so longer than that, and suffered no ill effects. Everything still runs well.

In other news, does anyone know of any good sites to learn sign language?
What are the ohms and efficiency ratings of your speakers?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by AkaStp
:( Oh, no, not another potential thread hijack! Perhaps start a new thread on that subject? :)
just a little joke that the high volume levels caused me to go deaf. don't think that willl be necessary

as far as the speakers go they are 91db 8ohm speakers

·
Banned
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
just a little joke that the high volume levels caused me to go deaf. don't think that willl be necessary

as far as the speakers go they are 91db 8ohm speakers
Sorry, I was a bit slow on the uptake of that one. ;) I did actually mean to jokingly enquire if you could still hear anything after running the XR-50 at that level. :D

Anyway, now that someone mentioned it, I do seem to remember reading somewhere in the distant past that 3db is a doubling of power. So, if that is correct then 6db would be X4, 9db would be X8 and 12db would be X16. So, that would make 10db around X10.

1Watt at -20db doesn't sound like a lot yet its pretty darned loud!

·
Registered
138 Posts
that 1 watt probably sounds loud because a sensitivity rating of 91dB means the volume level is 91 decibels if you're standing a meter away from the speaker and if you're providing one watt of power to the speaker.

·
Banned
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In my case its 89db speakers and I'm 4m away but I get the point. :)

Do you have the Black or Silver XR-50? Have you tried using the 5.1 analog inputs yet with DVD-Audio?

·
Banned
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by DBryant
Sound and Vision Mag measured the output at 82 watts with 5 channels being driven. That is quite impressive. I have the 50 and can attest to the power. Power is not a problem for the Panny.
Hi DBryant,

What are the ohms and efficiency ratings of your speakers?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by AkaStp
In my case its 89db speakers and I'm 4m away but I get the point. :)

Do you have the Black or Silver XR-50? Have you tried using the 5.1 analog inputs yet with DVD-Audio?
black, I like the way it looks. Nope haven't tried that yet. I'm still in 2.0 mode. Will be getting a sub and surrounds soon but I'm kinda happy with what i've got so there's no hurry for me.

the speakers have 10" woofers so they're pretty good in the low region anyway.

·
Registered
920 Posts
AKA,

I use JBL's- S38II's-mains, EC35-center, N26-surround, and dual N24's for the surround back wired in series. My speakers have a sensitivity rating of 89 db, although the center may be 91. I would have to check to be certain....

·
Registered
138 Posts
Quote:
AKA,

I use JBL's- S38II's-mains, EC35-center, N26-surround, and dual N24's for the surround back wired in series. My speakers have a sensitivity rating of 89 db, although the center may be 91. I would have to check to be certain....
JBLs sure are nice ain't they? I've got S310II fronts

·
Registered
920 Posts
S310's are a monster of a speaker. Can't beat the Studio line. I am getting ready to finish off the basement and will be using JBL's down there as well. I think they are one of the best values out there with their discounted prices so widely available on-line.

·
Banned
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
AKA,

What is your typical listening level with the XR-50?

·
Registered
920 Posts
For normal tv viewing it varies between 55 down to 40 with my dish receiver hooked up via optical. With DVD's it is generally somewhere in the 20's. This is quite loud but depends upon the DVD. For music generally I am in the 30's.

·
Banned
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sounds about the same as I'm using. I was getting concerned that using the 20s was too high, too close to the top and not enough headroom left and could possibly trash my speakers. I feel better now. :)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.