AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks promising. So far I have been able to import short clips into iMovie, straight from my Panasonic HDC-SD9. iMovie detected the Panny, opened a 'thumbnail' window, and I clicked the IMPORT button. Once the clip is imported, you can 'scrub' through the clips (with sound).

I must qualify my enthusiasm here. I come from old obsolete Macs, but just bought a Mac Mini and updated it with X 10.5.4. I was completely shocked by the new look, and when iMovie detected my Panny, thumb-nailed the clips without freezing, then dropped my clip (realtime) onto a rotating video screen, all I could think is YES!

Currently I am importing about 1 hour of video, so I'll report back when iMovie puts them on the timeline for me.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Good to hear. So X 10.5.4 was a good update for avchd. Was that a raw avchd 'scrub' through you were talking about?

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd like to give a quick answer, but as I am still learning this alien version of iMovie, I'm stuck in 'stupid' mode.

Here's what iMovie has to say about importing preferences:

There is a choice to either import 1080i as "Full 1920 x 1080" or "Large - 960x540"

"Selecting Large significantly reduces file size with little image quality loss."

There's a another proviso, since I have a mac mini.

"Selecting Full on this computer may result in degraded video playback"

Of course, I selected to import at Full, but now that everything is on the timeline, the mini has no problem scrubbing in both directions when my mouse cursor passes over a clip.

I did an info on the .mts clips on the Panny. It identifies .mts as a Unix executable file

What is wild, is that I only imported an hour's worth of HD from an 8 GB card, but importing it to Full 1920 x 1080 has filled up my 60 GB of free space that I had left. I'm out of room on my new mac mini!!

I'm completely blown away by this, now I'm out to buy an external drive.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts