AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 184 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What studio is distributing this in North America?

This film would look phenomenal on HD. Do you think we'll get an HD-DVD of this?

*edit* - It would seem North American distribution will be done by Picturehouse.....who tends to release it's films through HBO Home Video and New Line Home Video.

So it's not out of the realm of possibility.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Picturehouse is a Warner company, so there is a possibility...I really hope they do deliver this on HD because I'd buy that in a heartbeat...great film.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Yes, it's being marketed as much more of a "fantasy" film than it actually is. I'd say it's a period piece more than anything.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
What a horrifying movie. I thought it would be like Alice in Wonderland for adults, not Alice in Wonderland Avenue.

·
Registered
11,148 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fettastic /forum/post/0

It was a pretty good movie, but I thought there would be a lot more creatures. They're only in maybe 10 minutes of the 2 hour running time. The creepy guy with the eyes in his palms is only in one quick scene.

Guess what, some of us haven't seen it, so why don't you mark your comments *spoilers* if you're going to give things away.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J /forum/post/0

I think what's going to look phenomenal on HD is the movie 300.

Yes it will because it's totally relevant to this thread.

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
I think it's acceptable to change expectations of this film that it's far more about Spain in the post-Civil War period (1944) than it is about the fantastic creatures/fantasy storyline. That much doesn't give anything away. Either way, it was a fantastic movie and Doug Jones is incredible in every role he plays.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I liked the film, but I think it is one of the most overrated of the year.

That being said, it was good enough to buy the HD DVD and drool over the PQ, assuming it is done well

·
Registered
29,547 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR1 /forum/post/0

I thought this was one of the best movies in a while. Hollywood could certainly learn a thing or two!

After agonizing through Lady in the Water, I think someone ought to force M. Night Shyamalan to watch this and see the right way to bring a fairy tale to film.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
it should look spectacular. plus it's 1:85 - 1 so people wont complain about "black bars".

If you have not seen The Devil's Backbone or Chronos they are worthy of a viewing. D. backbone is awesome looking.

If Del Toro continues to evolve as a writer/director then we will have some real treats ahead of us!

·
Premium Member
13,515 Posts
While I agree that Lady in the Water was not Night's best, it is a completely different type of film and story than Pan. One is clearly geared toward kids while the other is clearly geared toward adults. Lady in the Water is fine as a young adult to kids movie, but it pales in comparison to his previous films IMHO. Pan is a wonderful adult fairy tale and its production value is outstanding.

·
Registered
29,547 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering /forum/post/0

While I agree that Lady in the Water was not Night's best, it is a completely different type of film and story than Pan. One is clearly geared toward kids while the other is clearly geared toward adults.

Even as a children's film, Lady in the Water is exceptionally poor by any standard. It's too slow and dull to keep kids entertained, and too insultingly dumb for adults to tolerate.

No, I certainly wouldn't take a child to see Pan's Labyrinth. My point is just that there's a way to make a cinematic fairy tale intelligently, and then there's the way Hollywood usually does it.

1 - 20 of 184 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.