AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I have a Panasonic AE-7000u that is giving me fits.  When I start it up, I often get no video (audio is ok).  The picture flashes from blue screen to black and then back again and then to the part where it is showing all available input ports, as though it is searching for an input.

I often have to restart the projector 2-3 times until the video shows.

It also will start playing a disk just fine, then 10-15 minutes into the play, the video will cut out.  It may come back in 30 seconds or sometimes I have to wait 5 minutes.  Audio continues to play.  The projector fan speeds up and slows down, as though it is searching.

After going through this "kick start" procedure, then it will play the rest of the movie just fine.

It doesn't seem to have this problem with regular dvd's---just on blu ray.

I am using this projector with a Samsung HT-6730W player.  Latest firmware has been applied.

Is there a firmware update for the Panasonic that might help?

I have tried numerous different HDMI cables.  My current cable plugs into a wall socket, and from there a cable goes up through the wall and ceiling to the projector, about a 12 foot run.  I have tried connecting a cable directly to the projector but that doesn't make any difference.

Desperate for any help on this problem.  Is it a problem with the projector, the blu ray player?  I'm tearing my hair out with frustration, because when it works I really enjoy my home theater!  Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
15,085 Posts
Try turning off "deep color" in the Blu-ray player.

The symptoms you describe are consistent with sending a higher bitrate signal than your HDMI cable can reliably transport. Long cables with intermediate connections tend to be particularly problematic. Turning off "deep color" reduces the bitrate. No Blu-ray disc uses that feature, anyhow. Another bit-rate reduction workaround is to set the player to output a fixed 1080i signal, which uses half of the bit-rate of 1080p.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Sir:

Thank you for your excellent advice.  It certainly makes sense that the problem appears to be related to inadequate data transfer between the player and projector.

I have turned off the deep color feature on the Samsung, and so far things seem to be working better.  I will continue to test.

Regarding HDMI cables---is there a particular brand or type that you recommend, that can fully support maximum transfer rates, especially on longer runs where the projector is on the ceiling and the player is to the side of the room?

Again--thanks for the info---it is much appreciated!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Sir--I have been playing blu-ray movies this past week and the problem has not recurred.  Thanks again for the advice---I would never have been able to figure this out on my own!

Just curious---what is "deep color"?  And why is it not used on disks?

·
Registered
15,085 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooeyhall  /t/1524952/pansonic-pt-ae7000u-vide...appens-on-blu-ray-advice-needed#post_24574888

Sir--I have been playing blu-ray movies this past week and the problem has not recurred.  Thanks again for the advice---I would never have been able to figure this out on my own!
You're very welcome.
Quote:
Just curious---what is "deep color"?  And why is it not used on disks?

"Deep Color" is the name for video signals which have more than 8 bits per color. Deep color allows up to 12 bits in each of the three color channels. It isn't used on Blu-ray discs or DVDs because they didn't include that feature when they wrote the standards for how studios are allowed to record video on the discs. As a result, Blu-ray discs and DVDs are limited to only 8 bits in each of the three color channels. My understanding is that a few high-end cam-corders record their video using Deep Color. Also, it seems likely that the standard that's currently in development for 4K discs will include Deep Color.

Reactions: zooeyhall
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.