AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a question for the experts. I recently purchased a Panasonic TH-37PX50U and have noticed that when watching 4:3 programs stretched to JUST (16:9) there is a significant parabolic effect on each side of the screen. I also own a 42" pd25up panasonic and notice that it is not as pronounced yet still there. Finally I own a sony 17" HT75W LCD HDTV/Monitor that I use as a monitor and TV in the office, and this has no parabolic effect. What causes this and is it normal? Is it the glass that causes this or do I possibly have a defective unit? Any insight is appreciated.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hey I've got that too on my Samsung LN-R268W LCD, if what you mean is that the center is normal and as you get towards the sides, the image gets more stretched out. Just noticed it. Only happens on the Panorama setting. It's actually pretty dramatic. I can't figure out what that setting is for anyway (maybe weird aspect ratio DVDs or something) so i never use it. But what's the point of it? If somebody's head gets next to the edge of the screen, it warps like it's about to get sucked into a black hole or another dimesion. Might be good for one of those fishtank screesavers, but otherwise...?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Jugdish, the reason you're getting that distortion is probably due to the stretch algorithm you've selected. Most TV's, aside from the option that will uniformly stretch a 4:3 picture to 16:9, have modes that will lessen the stretching in the middle of the display (where most of your image will be and where your focus normally is) and stretch more at the fringes. Therefore, as objects pan across your display from left to right, the amount of stretching will increase, decrease, then increase again. The degree to which this occurs is probably dependent on what specific setting you choose. For example, on my Toshiba RPTV the various stretch algorithms are called TheatreWide 1, 2, 3, etc and the linear stretch mode is called Full.

·
Registered
497 Posts
It's normal for how the JUST mode works on the Panasonic. If you want a linear stretch use FULL mode. There is a description with diagrams in the owner's manual.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.