AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a parabolic directv dish installed with an ota antennae for hdtv. I want to run the interior rg6 to then entry point into the home. How many runs do I need - 2 or 3? I have read about combining the 2 antennaes with an injector? My HDTV receiver is the Toshiba 3000.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
3,433 Posts

Quote:
How many runs do I need - 2 or 3?
The switch on the back of the dish has four outputs. You will need one run of coax per receiver (2 runs if you have the the Ultimate TV or DirecTivo). If the number of tuners is more that four, then you need extra switches.

You can combine the sat signal with the OTA signal with either 2 diplexors per run of coax or a special 5x4 switch. The 5x4 switch will combine the OTA into all four outputs. You will only need one diplexor per receiver then. FYI...Over at DBSforums, some of the sat installers have had problems with diplexors. Others have many success stories. Use at your own risk.

-Robert

·
Registered
3 Posts
MJ,

You can use the diplexers to mix the off air antenna signal with the directv signals. You can get single or dual diplexers from Terk. Terk also has a dual diplexer that has an amplifier built in (PMDA). I like the diplexers from Terk because they come with a removable DC block. If you want cheaper diplexers you can get the RCA diplexers for less than $8. I know this online store that has great prices on this stuff www.spectravox.com. You should also check out www.antennaweb.org to make sure the antenna you purchased is correct for your area. I have never had problems with the diplexers in a tv system.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Adding components inline with with your sat signal should not create problems, but I avoid adding anything to the antenna coax. Every connection can potentially degrade the signal and add noise, maybe enough to prevent you from locking in the station. If you have very good reception it should not be a problem.

------------------

-Glenn

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info!

I will want to run signal to 2 locations. I may want to use a TIVO. Since the satilite will be difficult to get to I guess I should have them run all 4 rg6 lines down and a rg6 line from the antenna.

I am not sure the diplexer helps me or not. Maybe just complicates things.... I have fairly good access to both areas for running the cable so perhaps I should just split the ota signal. Do I need to amplify it if I am splitting once?

Are Terk diplexers/amplifiers ok? This forum seems to bash their antennas http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

Thanks again

Mike

·
Registered
136 Posts
Inorder for this to work. Change your current multiswitch to an Eagle Aspen 5x4. This multiswitch will let you combine feeds "sat & ota". Then use dc pass diplexors before the stb, this will seperate the signals.

It works great!

------------------

PeterDz

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.